Help with fitting triangle into 3D model

IanH

I am having problems fitting triangular panes of glass into the bell end of this conservatory - see attached.

If I draw in plan view, when I then rotate the panes by 30 degrees to match the pitch of the roof, the won't fit into the holes left for the panes of glass.

As the panes of glass are extrudes, it wont let me resize them in situ.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Ian

The easiest way to do this in VW's (that I know of) is the following: place a 3d locus at each of the three points of each triangle, then use the 3d polygon tool to create 3d poly's, making sure that each vertex snaps to the appropriate locus. [Note: make certain that the 3d loci are placed correctly by checking in at least 2 different views]

Another method would involve rotating the model (in 2 dimensions) such that you are looking straight at each triangular surface, then drawing a polygon and then extruding it. You could also probably accomplish the rotation(s) by way of setting the working plane(s).

Use the Roof Face Tool to model the pane of glass. Set the thickness to match the thickness of the other glass panes. (If you are only using a 3D polygon for the glass convert the Roof to a Mesh and then delete the edges and bottom surface.)

Other ways you could do this are:

- Set the Working Plane to that surface and then model the pane of glass.

- Use the Nurbs Extract Surface tool to get the nurbs curves defining the edges. These curves can then be combined into a surface with Create Surface from Curves.

There is a heap of useful information here:

- Advanced 3D modeling: http://www.nemetschek.net/training/library.php?movie=3Dmovies

- 3D Power Pack: http://www.nemetschek.net/3dpowerpack/samples.php

I used the 3d locus in the end. Worked first time once I corrected the extrude direction. Once one was done, the others were simply a matter of performing a duplicate array around a circular path with origin at the centre of the apex.

When I get a bit more time, I will look at the roof features - they look useful.

-Ian