Can't access VW2008 Help on Safari 3

rDesign

After installing the latest 2008 SP2 (Build 83388) updater I can no longer access the VW help file in Safari 3.04 (Mac OSX 10.4.11). I get a 'Failed to Open' page that says 'No file exists at the address ?/Applications/VectorWorks 2008/VWHelp/wwhelp/wwhimpl/api.htm?. '

In the Finder if I look at the VWHelp folder in the VW 2008 application folder, it has a 'No Access' sign through it and Get Info confirms this. Even after I entered my admin password in the Ownership & Permissions, I still can't get access to it for any users, I tried several different Owners and Group permissions combinations.

I have repaired my permissions (several times) using Disk Utility, restarted (several times), and zapped my PRAM (also several times). I still don't have access to this folder.

I would re-install the VectorWorks 2008 Help System Update, but the DL page says it doesn't help with Safari 3: VW2008 Help System Update

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I'm becoming less than happy with my decision to upgrade to VW2008). In addition to these help problems - VW2008 is noticeably slower than 12.5.3 - at least for me.

Well I thought I'd be tricky and use Pacifist to try and install only the VWHelp folder from the installation DVD (since the VW installer doesn't give you an option to re-install only specific packages). I was able to extract the VWHelp from the Common1.zip package but the text is all garbled in Safari. I reapplied the SP2 hoping that would fix it, but no such luck. The help files appear to be all there in their correct folders, but they are completely unintelligible.

I also tried logging in as Admin and that user also had the same problems with the VW help files in Safari 3.

I guess I have to uninstall / reinstall VW2008 and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for all your help. Maybe a reinstall will also help with the slowness problems I've been having (I'll save that discussion for another thread).

Thanks Pat, but I haven't installed Leopard 10.5 - I'm still on Tiger 10.4.11.

The sequence that lead to my Safari 3 problems is this:

1) Running OS 10.4.10 - Installed VW2008 for first time (updated to SP2). I was using Safari 2 so I had to install the 'VW2008 Help System Update'. VWHelp files in Safari 2 worked fine at this point.

2) Installed OS 10.4.11 PPC Combo Updater which includes Safari 3. At this point the VWHelp files no longer worked in Safari 3.

So I think whatever Safari 2 fixes were part of the 'VW2008 Help System Update', ended up breaking the VW Help in Safari 3. (Maybe NNA should provide a way to uninstall the 'VW2008 Help System Update').

By uninstalling and reinstalling VW2008 and SP1 & SP2 I was able to fix it. The Help files are working fine in Safari 3 now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tim