Tabbed window for symbol editing

Petri

Question

Going through quite a massive symbol creation & modification operation. Awkward, to use the mildest expression I can think of.

Why can't we have a separate, tabbed symbol editing window a la Wall Styles, with its own class visibility settings a la Viewports? Invoked by double-clicking.

2D tab, 3D tab, insertion options tab, data record tab. Renaming possible in each.

8 answers to this question

I'd also like, optionally, to see the plan image of the 3D representation in the 2D tab and the 2D representation in the 3D tab when that is in Top view.

Maybe it is just me, but I have had problems in this kind of registration.

And while we are at it:

The logic of the insertion point should be reversed from the current perverse logic. Whatever objects you have, in whichever classes & hybrid components, the insertion point is what want to move, not everything in the symbol definition.

Another good suggestion Petri - perhaps with a toggle to turn it on and off. Also greyed (ghosted) so which is active is obvious, and snappable so the registration is simple.

On the issue of insertion options - why do objects other than doors and windows need insertion options that interact with walls anyway? There are three types of objects:

- Those that need to form holes in the walls: doors, windows, openings, niches (when we get them) and lifts (because of the doors).

- Those that need to snap to the wall surface: cupboards, showers, baths, etc. (though sometimes these don't need to).

- Those that exist in free plan space and therefore don't need to interact with walls: all the rest.

It would be much better if the objects had the intelligence to know which they were and behaved accordingly. Other programs do it this way so why can't VW? A simplification of object behaviour in this way would significantly improve VW's user friendllynees and intuitiveness.

About insertion options: couldn't agree more! Now we have Objects Behaving Badly.

Even I can't find the words to explain the brilliant & infallible logic behind the status quo to an interior designer, whose brand new chair symbol has just been sucked into a wall.