VW2008 takes a loooong time to start with many favorites files

VW2008 takes roughly 1.5 minutes to start the first time each day. After that, it only takes 7 seconds.

This seems like a very long time for an application to start. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there some setting within VW that is making this happen?

Edited by Pharr

Yes - I have an external drive for backups. Yes - I turn off my mac at night but run chron maintenance (OnyX) and repair permissions on a regular basis.

Do any of these things have an affect on how long it takes for an application to start?

How long do you find that it takes for VW to start up?

Regarding favourites, how many is a lot? That startup time should not be increased by too much if the number is less than 40.

Also, a large number of plug-ins will slow down launch time.

Due to the nature of Mac OS X, the first launch of the application will typically take a long time, subsequent launches should have an improved launch time.

If the computer is restarted everyday, you'll have that initial delay every time.

Favorites seems to have been the reason. I removed them all and now it only takes 20 seconds to start the first time.

I had 20 libraries in my favorites which must have included hundreds of individual symbols.

It sees kind of odd that VW essentially loads all favorites rather than simply providing a pointer to them. I wish that there was an easier way to get to symbols without having to preload them - hunting through the directory structure every time I need something is a pain.

I guess I'll have to decide which is more efficient - waiting for VW to load or hunting for symbols.

At least now I know how it works.

Thanks all for your help.