Can't Cut Sections

Hi,

I have a file in which I can't update the viewports.

Previously (at 101 MB file size) I had no problem cutting the sections to generate a permit set.

Now (at 107 MB file size) I can't seem to cut sections. I get the endless spinning color wheel, and, a couple of times, a message that "One or more operations could not be completed due to lack of memory."

Even worse, when I go back to the older file where I'd successfully cut sections before, that file won't work now, either.

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not I have any other software running. I've shut down as many widgets as it seems OS X will let me in an effort to eliminate a 'memory leak.'

Files for other projects, albeit significantly smaller files, still seem to work okay.

Problems with cutting sections has been persistent for me. I'm using a top of the line Mac and do my best with maintenance, updates, permissions and so on. It's starting to get very frustrating.

Has anyone had similar experiences and/or does anyone have any advice???

THANKS!!!!!!!! -Will

Max Pro 2.66 GHz; 1 GB RAM; OS X 10.4.10; VW 12.5.2-71041; Architect +RenderWorks

I do just have 1 GB RAM, yes. So, it seems it would probably make sense to increase that.

But I guess what I don't understand is why before I could cut sections, and now I can't, with only a minor increase to the file size. And, worse, why the older file that previously did work now doesn't! (Even with all other apps shut down and the computer freshly restarted, the problems persist).

Do you have any good sources for RAM? I understand that getting it from Apple is maybe unnecessarily expensive...

Thank you for your response! -Will

Hi Peter, thanks for the recommendation. I think I may have found the right memory at "memorytogo" - 4 GB for $264, which seems pretty good...

Islandmon, In one of my projects I once inadvertently linked (attached) some resources (I'm not sure if this is the same thing?) and then finally figured out how to un-link them, but, otherwise, no WGR files. I'm glad to hear that 101mb isn't that large... it's only a 3 story, 6 unit apartment building (with some fair amount of detailing, including classical columns, but still...).

I only discovered the OSX Activity Monitor this morning, and didn't really know what to make of it, actually. When I just opened up VW, and only VW, though, it showed the remaining 75% of RAM (except maybe 12 mb) turned blue. VW is kinda greedy, huh?...

And a general update...

I purged my file and deleted half the floors, which didn't help. I fixed the registry (? - replaced the preferences file) which didn't help. I forced daily/weekly/monthly Mac maintenance, and, voila, I was able (albeit excrutiatingly slowly) to successfully cut sections in both files! So, at least maybe they are not corrupt, and maybe more RAM is indeed the answer. At Mike m oz (?) 's suggestion I changed the 3D conversion res to low, and then even got acceptably fast section updates. So, progress!...