Smooth switch from orthogonal to perspective

Christiaan

Question

13 answers to this question

EJ,

That works sort of OK if the objects are centred on the origin

The Perspective window, like all standard view changes defaults to centring and is a minor pain for all non centred objects.

In the past I've Wished for the option to have view changes centred on the selected object, but there was no interest in this to speak of.

N.

Christiaan, please clarify:

Rotate view >goto>View>Set Perspective... viola ... a perspective of the View

based on the distance as narrow,normal,wide or any other depth.

What am I missing ?

As per Nicholas' comments, but even if it is centred on the origin my perspective is very distorted and very difficult to adjust to look roughly like the orthogonal view.

Maybe I'm missing something? Here's an example of a drawing set to an orthogonal view. If you like, give it a go and tell me how many clicks and how much time you need to have the same orthogonal view, but in perspective.

How about using the RenderWorks camera object and then set the OIP option to display view from camera?

Better but still fidgety and as Nicholas points out, not always an option.

Since everyone has a different "perspective", whose becomes the default?

My first thought on this is that if you have an Ortho view that, say, fills the screen; then going to Perspective should give a view that fills the screen from the same point of view, and at "Normal" perspective (IE whatever distance it takes to fill the screen).

This seems intuitive to me, but would undoubtably take some juggling of the algorithm which seems to make the distance static and crops the view to suit that.

cheers

" going to Perspective should give a view that fills the screen from the same point of view, and at "Normal" perspective (IE whatever distance it takes to fill the screen)."

This is what I was referring to in the second part of my last post.

"would undoubtably take some juggling of the algorithm"

Which is why I don't think we'll see this change any time soon.

George

My first thought on this is that if you have an Ortho view that, say, fills the screen; then going to Perspective should give a view that fills the screen from the same point of view, and at "Normal" perspective

Nicholas, interesting idea. I wonder if the program "knows" what is on the screen, given that screens and windows can be of different sizes on different machines. No problem, the user could be asked to marquee the frame of the desired perspective.

But then the problem becomes how the program would interpret the depth of the defined frame, whether it be the screen or a marquee. In other words, some of the objects in the foreground on your screen would be "clipped" unless we are allowed to see more of objects at a distance in the perspective view - just thinking as I go here. That actually doesn't sound like too bad a tradeoff.

PS: Christiaan, couldn't view the drawing in your link.

My first thought on this is that if you have an Ortho view that, say, fills the screen; then going to Perspective should give a view that fills the screen from the same point of view, and at "Normal" perspective (IE whatever distance it takes to fill the screen).

Exactly.

PS: Christiaan, couldn't view the drawing in your link.

Hmm, could anyone else open it? Redundant anyway I guess because everyone seems to understand what I'm saying anyway.