Stair designs

Hey all

Not sure if there is a thread that covers my questions, if so please direct me there.

I work in events and often have to create room templates for venues we regularly visit, hotel ballrooms, convention centers etc...

I have been trying to create custom designed stairways to match event spaces for quite some time now with little luck. I normally have to just fudge it or build stairways one step at a time which is very time consuming.

I have tried using the reshape tool but its constraints are far too limiting.

Any ideas how I can create a 3D representation of stairs like this?

stairs.thumb.png.4321e182a09219ae7acb4a005b59e711.png

You could try building each of the runs as a straight stair using the Stair tool and piece those together with 3D modeled parts for the landings.  For the bottom splayed stair, you can build a single run stair that's the max width of one part, ungroup the Stair to get 3D objects, and then trim and mirror to get both parts.  Ungrouping the upper runs might also help creating the overall stair.

I would not bother with the railings in the Stair tool.  The new Handrail tool might help, but I haven't used it enough to know.  

Modeling everything in 3D may be easier. Others may have better ideas.

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 4

A variation on @E|FA's suggestion is to try is the legacy Simple Stair Tool (you'll need to find it in the Workspace Editor). With this you can very quickly + easily draw basic stairs then use the Split Tool to taper/splay them, the Deform Tool to bend them, the Push/Pull Tool to create landings, etc. Performing any of these actions will turn them into 3D solids so you will need to convert them in Auto Hybrids or Hybrid Symbols afterwards to regain a Top/Plan representation.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Jake Wilson said:

Any ideas how I can create a 3D representation of stairs like this?

It appears your work is more of a unique situation, a one time construction for each project. When I do something like this, I use "Duplicate Along Path".  It is one of the best tools in VW's.