Unrecognized file

tthompson4

Question

I am trying to open a VW 2024 file in VW 2022 and I get this error message every time.  I have to have my designer down convert every time just for me to open and tweak if needed.  This has been happening for years with different files from the same designer so it does not seem like it would be a corrupt file every single time.  There must be a way to fix this without buying a new license LOL

4 answers to this question

Are you certain that the designer actually Exported as VW2022? Because as you know VW2022 can not open a VW2024 file.

If you open the VW file with a text editor the first line should look something like this:

‡î VW24.0.0 VW29.0.4EKXUSN-G03H14‹VectorWorks Y®•ı

If it says VW29 in the second position, then it is a VW2024 file.  VW27 would be a VW2022 file.

• Like 2

But the prompt states that it will open in an older version first, then it claims it is an unrecognized or corrupt file.

Also, why has renderworks disappeared from my previous licenses??

On 4/9/2024 at 11:41 AM, tthompson4 said:

I am trying to open a VW 2024 file in VW 2022 and I get this error message every time.  I have to have my designer down convert every time just for me to open and tweak if needed.  This has been happening for years with different files from the same designer so it does not seem like it would be a corrupt file every single time.  There must be a way to fix this without buying a new license LOL

3 hours ago, tthompson4 said:

Also, why has renderworks disappeared from my previous licenses??

The last Vw version to offer a separate ‘Renderworks’ add-on package was Vw2016.

In Vw2017 and newer, Renderworks was included with all licenses and hence it no longer shows up as a separate add-on in your license history. Post back if that is not what you were asking about.

• Like 1