VW2024 'Project Elevation' setting in Document Setup

It would be great to get some additional info on the new 'Project Elevation' setting in Document Setup. As far as I understand it, you can reference it in the marker layout in Elevation Benchmarks but that is the only part it plays in a document - is that correct? In Elev BMs what does it allow you to do that you couldn't do before? I have modified one of my existing Elev BMs so that it now uses the Project Elevation to return the same data, just in a different (albeit more straightforward) way but it would be good to see some other examples. None of the stock Elev BMs in the VW libraries are using the Project Elevation as far as I can see. Just interested to learn more. @SBarrettWalker? Thanks.

Ok I think I understand. I have set up a file to use Stories + I've edited my Elev BM so it's now getting all its values from the Story info plus the Project Elevation. Before, my Elev BM looked exactly the same but I was typing in a Reference Elevation plus a note. My Project Elevation is the real world elevation of the subfloor i.e. the zero for the model. So I guess if I need for whatever reason to raise the subfloor by 25mm I just edit the Project Elevation + the Story Elevation + the Elev BMs follow suite...

Screenshot2024-03-31at14_28_26.thumb.png.039d0a274820ff71a642fa78809d4a46.png

(Yes this is a single storey building! I just wanted to see how automatic Elev BM placement worked compared to adding them manually which I how I've done it until now).

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

None of the stock Elev BMs in the VW libraries are using the Project Elevation as far as I can see. Just interested to learn more.

It sounds like you have already figured it out, but over in this other thread Sarah Barrett posted additional EBM resources with relative benchmarks which were not included with the default Library in Vw2023.

• Like 1

Thanks @rDesign I did actually see that thread at the time + incorporated Sarah's 'fancy' IF/THEN statement into my EBMs (which makes me realise I should have already known about the ternary (@ Colon) operator that @Pat Stanford utilised in another thread recently, but that's another story...).

What I'm asking about though is the 'Project Elevation' setting in Document Setup which as far as I know is new to VW2024 so came after those posts. I have seen very little mention of it.

• Like 1

Ok I guess it (Project Elevation) allows you to say that your model has an elevation of such + such above sea level (+ return this in Elev BMs) when in fact the model has an elevation of zero in the file...? That would make sense. My models are given their real world heights so I can return that info from the model itself.

Hi,

In my experience, 'Project Elevation' is only related to the Elevation Benchmark.

I think it is a pity that 'Project Elevation' has not become a standard data field

so that you have general access with worksheets and data tags.

However, I have already communicated this and hope it will be made possible.

However, you could create your own database and store the same information

there and query the information like this:

=Formatfield('Record Name'; 'Datafield Name')

With this solution 'Project Elevation' would be universally usable!

LG Tobi

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

However, you could create your own database and store the same information

there and query the information like this:

=Formatfield('Record Name'; 'Datafield Name')

With this solution 'Project Elevation' would be universally usable!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... Create a 'Project Elevation' Record? And attach it to object/s?

I was thinking that it would be good if you could link the Project Elevation to a Story Elevation (or rather bind a Story Elevation to the Project Elevation), but I don't really use Stories so perhaps I'm overlooking something.

Hi Tom,

yes, create an custom Record with a data field for 'Project Elevation'.

with =FORMATFIELD() you can have access to this information, even

if the Record isn't attached to an object.

If you update the standard data in the data field, you have to

update the worksheets as well.

… as far as my test are right, this could solve such situations

Greetings and Happy Easter

Tobi

21 hours ago, Tom W. said:

incorporated Sarah's 'fancy' IF/THEN statement into my EBMs

which I realise now in VW2024 you don't even need to do because there's a 'Show sign for non-negative values' checkbox in the 'Define Elevation Benchmark Field' dialog... That's very cool.

• Like 1