Where's my custom title block?

Luxedavid

Question

I'm about to pull my hair out here on the last step of creating my title block.. I've created a custom title block and followed Vectorworks' youtube tutorial 5 or 6 times now and get stuck when I go to actually select my style in a new doc, spotlight does not see it. Started by creating a new doc, set layer scale 1:1, then my page size US Arch D. Threw in some shapes and text. Grabbed it all and made a symbol. Then created a new records format and got everything linked there. Opened up the vectoworks>Lib>Def>TB> Standard Title Block.vwx, dropped my title block in and saved it. But, when I open a project, create a sheet and add a title block, I go to change the style and only the 6 default TB's that were in the Standard Title Block project show up in my picker. I've saved multiple in there but none show up for me to select. What step am I missing?

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
37 minutes ago, Luxedavid said:

I'm about to pull my hair out here on the last step of creating my title block.. I've created a custom title block and followed Vectorworks' youtube tutorial 5 or 6 times now and get stuck when I go to actually select my style in a new doc, spotlight does not see it. Started by creating a new doc, set layer scale 1:1, then my page size US Arch D. Threw in some shapes and text. Grabbed it all and made a symbol. Then created a new records format and got everything linked there. Opened up the vectoworks>Lib>Def>TB> Standard Title Block.vwx, dropped my title block in and saved it. But, when I open a project, create a sheet and add a title block, I go to change the style and only the 6 default TB's that were in the Standard Title Block project show up in my picker. I've saved multiple in there but none show up for me to select. What step am I missing?

- Which version of Vectorworks are you using? Which tutorial were you following? Can you share a screen recording, screenshot or test file showing the issue?

42 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Which version of Vectorworks are you using? Which tutorial were you following? Can you share a screen recording, screenshot or test file showing the issue?

Using 2024 update 4. Worked off of this video as it appeared to be the most recent that shows a full build 

Here's a short screen recording of the final stage I get stuck at

@Luxedavid The tutorial that you were watching is too old and much has changed since then. You can check for tutorials here https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&search=title+block&langfilter[]=0#coursestab

The Title Block Coffee Break course should be enough as a start I think.

10 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

@Luxedavid The tutorial that you were watching is too old and much has changed since then. You can check for tutorials here https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&search=title+block&langfilter[]=0#coursestab

Got it, I'll go through that now. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

I really was hoping he would have covered creating a custom from scratch title block rather than selecting one that's close-ish to a desired look, then bastardizing the layout to steal the pieces you need. Is that my only option to creating a completely custom layout? I understand that it's outdated, but the practice in the first vectorworks tutorial I shared was exactly what I was looking for.

15 hours ago, Luxedavid said:

I really was hoping he would have covered creating a custom from scratch title block rather than selecting one that's close-ish to a desired look, then bastardizing the layout to steal the pieces you need. Is that my only option to creating a completely custom layout? I understand that it's outdated, but the practice in the first vectorworks tutorial I shared was exactly what I was looking for.

- You can easily create new custom title block starting from an unstyled one. Just enter its layout and start inserting graphical and text objects. You can then make your text objects linked/dynamic from the OIP and they will display data from the TBB. If you need additional fields you can add them from the Manage Project/Sheet data dialogs in the TBB Settings dialog.