select layers as criteria for worksheet

Hi Everyone,

I'm making a worksheet for cables. The company I work for doesn't use the cable tool, but works with symbols for different cables. These symbols go into 3 different Layers. My worksheet works fine for each of the individual layers. My idea was to put all three layers in the criteria, so at edit criteria, I add three lines, each saying "Layer is NameOfLayer". As soon as I have more than one Layer mentioned in the criteria it finds no symbols anymore. My logic thought what I did was the way to tell the worksheet in those three Layers, but clearly I was mistaking. What is the correct way to select the Layers my worksheet should look in to for symbols?

best regards,

Peter

@Pat Stanfordmaybe right up your alley??

Sounds like you're using 'All criteria in this set' instead of 'Any criteria in this set'. The former will look for symbols which are on all three layers at the same time which clearly isn't going to happen. The latter will look for symbols which are on either one of the three layers. The former equates to 'Layer 1' and 'Layer 2' and 'Layer 3'. The latter equates to 'Layer 1' or 'Layer 2' or 'Layer 3'.

• Like 1

@Tom W. @Pat Stanford

I've come across something I'd like to change in the worksheet, the ANY block works brilliant, but it counts everything in those layers, which includes arrows and comments. I don't want those in my worksheet (a blank row with an amount). Is it possible to leave the any blocks for the layers, but to only count symbols in those layers?

15 minutes ago, Peter Telleman said:

@Tom W. @Pat Stanford

I've come across something I'd like to change in the worksheet, the ANY block works brilliant, but it counts everything in those layers, which includes arrows and comments. I don't want those in my worksheet (a blank row with an amount). Is it possible to leave the any blocks for the layers, but to only count symbols in those layers?

Did you watch that Worksheets Coffee Break yet as selecting Criteria is covered in some detail...? It's got to be worth spending a bit of time gaining an understanding of the basics then coming back here once you hit more advanced problems...

@Tom W. Haven't come far on the video yet, having quite the busy week to be able watch the full hour at once, am 25 minutes in so far. But rest assured, I'm very much into learning as much as I can. I just also see this Forum as a way to learn things. With the added advantage that I usually get answers pretty quickly (I've spend hours looking through manuals and videos not finding answers, that on the forum get quick and clear answers). Do really like this video so far yet, very pleasant and clear explanation, not all coffee breaks I've seen are this enjoyable to watch.

@Pat Stanford

image.png.4fd76f72fe236708c323ea4e778fbd07.png

I've applied the any criteria that works like a dream for the different layers. But I only want to see the symbols, not the scribbles that are also in those layers. I've tried adding the type = symbol criteria, but since it's set to look for any criteria, it then lists all kind of symbols, not just in the layers I want it to look through. That's where I get stuck.

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

• Like 1

I only suggested the video because Michael explains how criteria works very well + you would probably understand it better watching that than having it explained here. Have a look at 34:00 onwards. 

To incorporate 'Type is symbol' in your criteria you want to do something like this:

Screenshot2024-04-03at12_57_57.thumb.png.350471df069dcaf79ae9160cf655c0fd.png

Now it is looking for objects which are Symbols AND are on Design Layer-1 OR Design Layer-2 OR Design Layer-3.

• Like 2

Cool.

15 minutes ago, Peter Telleman said:

but I have trouble adding the all criteria row you have at the top. How do I add that?

If you click any row in the 'Criteria' column you can select 'All' or 'Any criteria':

Screenshot2024-04-03at13_31_13.png.92ae74c075d7ed61f45530130fc656ea.png

Screenshot2024-04-03at13_31_35.png.c4fde701f9e978d9b462807550516f57.png

Click + drag in the '#' column to reorder rows.