Detail Viewport Tags not showing up in Sheet Viewport

CAD Cadet

Question

Hi all

Hoping someone out there can help me figure this one out, I'm bamboozled!

Ive just set up a class to host the detail viewport tags on in the Top / Plan view of the model.

I can see all the view port tags, and have 'exported' the detail clips to another layout sheet.

The layout sheet where I have maybe a dozen details is referencing the correct detail numbers in the correct locations

all good so far...

Problems begin when I return to the viewport on the reference GA drawing... The detail tags do not appear in the sheet viewport... so I'm looking at the general arrangement plan hoping to see where I've put the detail markers identifying the locations of each detail... but they don't show up...?

To test I've definitely turned on the new class for the detail markers, and the class is definitely turned on.

I double click on the viewport, select and enter into the layer I've put the detail markers on and they show up... they are all there in the correct position and with the correct references...

I come out of the viewport edit and they all disappear again...

anyone got any ideas please?

8 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

So here is a screen grab from a portion of the Sheet View, obscuring title block from view... this view presents itself in the sheet layout view and without entering the viewport itself... I just see this view when trying to publish the sheet...

Screenshot2024-03-26at11_51_28.thumb.png.36d3fd7b334c89760868b7d5e210ef31.png

Edited by CAD Cadet
Clarification / add image
Posted (edited)

and...when I query what's going on I naturally double click on the viewport, select the layer I've drawn the detail markers on and magically they show up - coloured here in cyan for clarity [its a busy drawing!] You can see three detail views here around steelwork junctions and junctions of external walls with internal partitions.

When I click exit viewport these cyan viewport markers / callouts also disappear?

any idea what's going on?

Screenshot2024-03-26at11_32_54.thumb.png.a5dd175f64e4b553b0d62cb3a692db40.png

Edited by CAD Cadet
clarification / add image
Posted (edited)

I should comment that this drawing layer is a hybrid of 2D elements and Vectorworks Architect Wall Types, and these elements are overlaid with 2D Window Types symbols / like a masking tool... I appreciate its an unorthodox way of working but am drawing this way for ease of the remainder of the team being able to edit the drawing when I'm not ion the office... Its basically a 2D drawing to all purposes, but using the custom walltype tools within architect for a little uplift in efficiency - in short this is not a 3D file... its 2D

Edited by CAD Cadet

If I understand you correctly you have placed your Detail Callouts on the Design Layer + you're trying to get them to display on a floor plan Viewport on a Sheet Layer? To do this you need to select the Detail Viewport + click on 'Detail Callout Instances...' in the OIP + make sure the floor plan VP is checked in the dialog.

The way I do this is different though. I create the floor plan VP first then enter the annotations space + draw the detail callout out there to create the detail VP: I do it all on the sheet layer. If I want detail callouts on additional floor plans I use the 'Detail Callout Instances' dialog to add them. I don't put many annotations on the Design Layer.

• Like 3

Thank you so much @Tom W. that worked a treat!!!! SUPERSTAR!!!

I did the following first [wrongly]:

went to my GA view port, double clicked into the design layer, selected the viewport marker, couldn't find aDetail Callout Instances dialogue...

then I reread your instructions and did this:

I realised I needed to go to the sheet where all the details had been exported to...

I clicked on each detail viewport on the sheet and then in the Object Info Palette I was able to navigate to Detail Call Out Instances button.

I then made sure that the marker was turned on for the sheet layer and viewport that I wanted it on...

and BOOM! it worked!!!

Thank you so much for sharing how to do it i'd literally never have worked that one out for myself!

Good tip about using the viewport annotations space to add Detail callouts - I will try that next I think...

Thanks again.

Ok cool no worries! It's essentially the same deal with Section Viewports as well i.e. place the section lines in VP annotation space + use the 'Section Line Instances' dialog to determine where they additionally appear.

• Like 1

There are a few caveats/hazards to watch out for with section line instances though ... For example all instances have to be the same style and the same length, and trying to edit the instances (adjusting end marker positions and so on) has the potential to mess up the section viewports they correspond to.

Can't remember if detail callouts have similar problems? 

Edited by line-weight