Best practice question – Internal vs external revisions

Does anyone have any best practice suggestion re document/change control:

I'm attempting to standardise our control of drawing revisions. Typically we have e.g. REV –, REV A, etc. that is issued to the client for comment/approval.

However I need a simple way of recording revisions that occur during internal design reviews that do not interfere with the client issued revision.

Industry is bespoke cabinetry. Any ideas appreciated!

ISO19650 has a system of revisioning/issuing that involves interim revision between formal issues.

It works on the basis of the issue you are working towards.

It manifests as

P01.01

where P01 is the revision you are working towards, and 01 is the interim issue, which could work in your particular case.

You could therefore use a mixture of 'Issue' and 'Revision' in VW, where perhaps the formal Issue is P01, and the revision is A, B, C for internal review, e.g.

P01A, P01B, etc

All this of course assumes you are not being asked to issue documents in accordance with ISO19650.

This diagram explains the concept...

Screenshot2024-03-23at09_54_59.thumb.png.9af77e2a04f2f1f3b3cde25d3d6090cf.png

Screenshot2024-03-23at09_57_39.thumb.png.f3b8c1103d9e88f3fbb0a543790ac92b.png

The 'P' standards for Preliminary or Work in Progress.

Under ISO19650 if you see an issue/revision 'C01' the  'C' denotes 'Contractual' e.g. Issued for Tender.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, shorter said:

Under ISO19650 if you see an issue/revision 'C01' the  'C' denotes 'Contractual' e.g. Issued for Tender.

This is interesting. I thought 'C' denoted construction drawings + tender drawings were 'T'. 

2 hours ago, shorter said:

ISO19650 has a system of revisioning/issuing that involves interim revision between formal issues.

Thank you this is very promising! I had tried to google the ISO19650 recommendations but clearly didn't get far!

I will have to figure out if my team get there their heads around implementing this, instead of simply REV A, REV B, etc.

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

This is interesting. I thought 'C' denoted construction drawings + tender drawings were 'T'. 

That would be the most logical approach yes, but most find ISO19650 revisioning far from logical.

Most practices use P, T, and C prefixes in front of their issue number, i.e. P01, T01, C01.

Very clear and very logical.

However, ISO19650-2:2018 UK NA 2021 only allows the use of 'P' and 'C' prefixes for revisions.

It also has a status code and uses

S0 (Work in Progress)

S1 to S5 (Shared, non-contractual)

and

A1 to An, where n is the stage of the project.  'A' denotes the published 'Contractual' or  'Authorised' issue.

So not only do you have to note the revision, but also it's purpose or status, so a drawing for coordination is status 'S1', revision 'P01', for example, but could be issued the next day as S0, revision P02.01, to denote a WIP drawing, working toward P02.

The status 'B' used to be in the mix, but was deprecated a couple of years ago, if I recall.

Refer to ISO19650-2:2018 UK NA 2021 Section NA.4.2, and table NA.2 for status codes and NA.4.3

It's a mixture of the two that give the stage to which the drawing is related.

Status A5 would be a drawing authorised for use at stage 5, and this effectively replaces what many do when they put 'C' in front of the 'construction' issue.

I was going to give a talk on all this and how to set up your own file naming protocols, if anyone is interested.

I am not sure the above is what @Blinkglitter needs, tbh, unless working on a BIM project but by then the chances are these issues will have been written into the BEP.

• Like 3

If you do give a talk I would be interested, although our needs are much, much simpler than an architectural practice.

I think the simple P01 C01 method would work for us, either using the decimal postfix or a letter. I'm not sure we would need a status code. We currently put it in the title block.

The other challenge we have is folder organisation to ensure drawings go in the correct location, as we have drawings issued for internal review and drawings issued for external review. Separate subject...