.dwg export creates huge file

Magic_4_Forum

Question

Hi everybody,

I'm constructing a fairly simple trade show stand with a simple system based on 40mm x 40mm x 2mm square tube and some relatively elegant connectors (Rose und Krieger https://www.rk-rose-krieger.com/english/products/tube-connecting-system/stainless-steel-assembly-system ).

The connectors are availabe as CAD files (I chose .step).

I imported the connectors made them into symbols but as each connector is made of around 2-3thousand nurbs surfaces I actually deleted the nurbs surfaces and replaced them with a few extrudes etc. with radii. very simple place holders. Then I made them into symbols. 4 symbols are used of the five variants I created symbols for.

Now the construction is fairly simple (62 Objects but only  but there are a few extra layers etc. all in all the vectorworks file is 103MB. When I activate the layer with my construction and select all objects, then export- dwg -> just selected objects I stl get a 110 MB file !!

I have an alternative construction made from welded box section and some screw, similar geometry (slight size differences) thats 29 KB when exported !!

Is there a way in which VW keeps all the deleted nurbs stuff and still exports it ?! can I avoid this ?

can I purge all construction history from an object before I make the object ?

I wouldnt have thought this stuff is exported in a dwg anyway ?!

ANy hint to bring this file size madness down would be greatly appreciated. btw the imported .step files from the manufacturer are around 6-700 KB each. If export one of my simplified connectors it still become a 16 MB file !!!

Any hint would be appreciated !

kindest regards Jo

PS: I'm attaching the .dwg export of the connector after I simplified it by deleting the nurbs parts...  cant include the .stp original as the filety is not allowed for upload here.

single connector exported.dwg

2 answers to this question

Something went deeply wrong here.

That file is not realistically editable in DWG. Everything lags terribly.

I see only one Block.

Looks like all fillets got tessellated.

5 hours ago, Magic_4_Forum said:

I imported the connectors made them into symbols but as each connector is made of around 2-3thousand nurbs surfaces

Seems like this is the problem.

I think you need to rebuild this with VW Solids from scratch or find a better geometry source.

• Like 1