Worksheet - Displaying Area by Adding Criteria per Column

Hey,

I'm currently trying to make a worksheet that displays lot areas with their numbers. I want to also display a building footprint on a separate column that is still within the same row as the area based on the respective lot numbers. Both the lots and the building footprints are spaces but they are on their own classes "Building Footprint" & "Lots". What I'm struggling with is that I can't seem to add more criteria to the columns to display AREA based on the class that the object is on. I've tried the code lines: 

=AREA(CLASS('Buildable Footrpint'))

=AREA(CLASS='Buildable Footprint')

But neither of these work. The second code line returns the value #OPCODE?. I've attached an excel spreadsheet with the general idea of what I am trying to achieve.

ExcelFileScreenshot.png.a70a33e2b939bd6b6ebea07ef71512dd.png

The overall criteria for the database is:

=DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space'))

Thanks for the help.

22 minutes ago, BartHays said:

Just to be clear, 

It looks like your class is called "Building Footprint", but you are filtering for a class called "Buildable Footprint.

Building vs Buildable? 

Bart

Sorry for the confusion. The class is Buildable Footprint and I'm trying to filter based on that class. Wherever I say Building Footprint, I mean Buildable Footprint.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gloudon said:

The overall criteria for the database is:

=DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space'))

In a database report you apply the criteria in the database formula + apply functions to the objects that formula is searching for in the columns. A formula such as =AREA(C='Buildable Footprint'), where the function + the criteria are combined, is what you would use in a spreadsheet cell not a database where the two are separate. You need to include (C='Buildable Footprint') in your database formula e.g. =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) but then of course the report will only return objects in that class.

If you're reporting on Spaces then ='Space'.'EnergyArea' will return their area.

9 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

In a database report you apply the criteria in the database formula + apply functions to the objects that formula is searching for in the columns. A formula such as =AREA(C='Buildable Footprint'), where the function + the criteria are combined, is what you would use in a spreadsheet cell not a database where the two are separate. You need to include (C='Buildable Footprint') in your database formula e.g. =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) but then of course the report will only return objects in that class.

If you're reporting on Spaces then ='Space'.'EnergyArea' will return their area.

Thanks for the reply. So in a spreadsheet, can I still access object info and place criteria and functions? If so and I use a spreadsheet instead, would the formula be =AREA(C='Buildable Footprint')? Or would it be =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) AREA where I change the class depending on the space I want to get the area from.

6 minutes ago, gloudon said:

Thanks for the reply. So in a spreadsheet, can I still access object info and place criteria and functions? If so and I use a spreadsheet instead, would the formula be =AREA(C='Buildable Footprint')? Or would it be =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) AREA where I change the class depending on the space I want to get the area from.

Have a look at the VW Worksheet Functions page for info on how the same function is used in database header cells + spreadsheet cells:

https://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php?title=Worksheet_Functions

If you put =AREA(C='Buildable Footprint') in a spreadsheet cell it will return the total area of all the objects in the class called 'Buildable Footprint'.

No, =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) AREA would not work as a database formula because AREA is a function. =DATABASE(INVIEWPORT & (INSYMBOL & (INCLSUBX)) & (PON='Space') & (C='Buildable Footprint')) would create a database which listed all the individual Space objects in the class called 'Buildable Footprint'. Then if you put ='Space'.'EnergyArea' in one of the header cells that column would return the areas of each of those Spaces.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@gloudon If you are reporting  space areas, ='Space'.'EnergyArea' will be faster and more precise than the generic AREA function.

You could separate reports for the building footprint and lots classes as explained by @Tom W.

If you want to keep them in the same report, you could use a IF function to conditionally show the area for spaces in a specific class.

For example, in the Buildable footprint column you could enter:  =IF ((C='Buildable Footprint'), 'Space'.'EnergyArea', 'n/a')

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@HuguesGotcha. That makes sense to me. I've just made two separate reports and made them look like the same on on my viewport page. In the future I want to also try it with a spreadsheet as was mentioned above as I think would do essentially the same thing. Same with making it a BIM object such as a space instead of going through the trouble of adding shapes and naming them or adding custom reports to them.