Wall clipping to roof issues

Hi. 

I've just recently been having problems with walls clipping to roofs in VW. Never had a problem before, but for some reason I cannot get the roof to associate with the walls below. 

I'm wondering whether there are any settings that might have changed, which i'm not aware of.

Any thoughts welcome.

Matt

Do you have access to VW2023? If so try exporting the file there + seeing if the same happens. There are issues with Roof clipping not working properly in VW2024. I am still working in VW2023 as a result. But the issues are meant to be being finally resolved in the next Update in mid-March... Fingers crossed as I would very much like to be using VW2024!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 hours ago, mattfox said:

Hi. 

I've just recently been having problems with walls clipping to roofs in VW. Never had a problem before, but for some reason I cannot get the roof to associate with the walls below. 

I'm wondering whether there are any settings that might have changed, which i'm not aware of.

Any thoughts welcome.

Matt

Hi Matt, Can you post a small file with the walls and roof in it?

11 minutes ago, mattfox said:

Hi Matt. Sure. See attached very basic model with walls and roof to simulate my issue.

Thanks

Mattroof clipping demo.vwx

Thanks for the file.

This one's a simple fix. 🙂

1. Select the Roof and click on the "Components…" button in the Object Info palette.
  2. Edit the component.
  3. Under Edge Condition / Wall Associated, Set Modification to "Clip Walls".
  4. Click OK to exist the dialogs and you should be good.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 1.42.56 PM.png

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, mattfox said:

Ahh... so it was "user" error after all. Ha! Thanks for pointing this out Matt. Sometimes it's not always obvious which settings are thwarting my model, so thank you for taking the time to get me back on track.

Matt

You're welcome, Matt!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@Matt Panzer I've only just got around to checking this file. I wanted to see why it was working here + not in my files. It seems that in @mattfox's file the clipping works whilst the Roof is a Roof but if you convert it into two Roof Faces it doesn't work. Is this your understanding of how the bug behaves? And will it be resolved for Update 4?

I am positive that when I last tried it it wasn't working with Roofs either so perhaps this was corrected in a previous update...?

It would just be good to know where we stand with the functionality - what works + what doesn't + how long it will be before it's back to how it was in VW2023 - because we're quite far into the release cycle now...

Many thanks!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tom W. said:

@Matt Panzer I've only just got around to checking this file. I wanted to see why it was working here + not in my files. It seems that in @mattfox's file the clipping works whilst the Roof is a Roof but if you convert it into two Roof Faces it doesn't work. Is this your understanding of how the bug behaves? And will it be resolved for Update 4?

I am positive that when I last tried it it wasn't working with Roofs either so perhaps this was corrected in a previous update...?

It would just be good to know where we stand with the functionality - what works + what doesn't + how long it will be before it's back to how it was in VW2023 - because we're quite far into the release cycle now...

Many thanks!

@Tom W., I just tested the file @mattfox attached by ungrouping the Roof into Roof Faces and associating them to their corresponding walls.  You're right that they don't clip the walls in VW2024 Update 3 but I see it working in an Update 4 beta version.  So you should have the fix soon.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

@Tom W., I just tested the file @mattfox attached by ungrouping the Roof into Roof Faces and associating them to their corresponding walls.  You're right that they don't clip the walls in VW2024 Update 3 but I see it working in an Update 4 beta version.  So you should have the fix soon.

Thanks very much for checking Matt - very glad to hear all looks good in Update 4! That will save me some clicking, having to create my Roof Faces as Roofs (lots of gables...) 🙂

@JuanP do you know if there's a date for Update 4 yet...?

Thank you

• Like 1