Image won't add

I just want to add depth to a view in the rendered document. All I want to do is add an image to this object. I have tried adding image, nope, adding by class, nope, adding by texture, this way the resource manager wouldn't even let me look at the image file. I am missing a step somewhere and I don't know what it is. Most other rendering programs, ie Light Converse, I can just drop the image into an object, but here it seems a lot more convoluted. A decal won 't do it, it appears it only works on a pre-textured image. 

1) It seems like you are trying to add an image to an extruded 3D object using the Attributes palette and adding a Fill to the 3D Object, correct? The Image Fill attributes controlled by the Attributes palette only work on 2D objects, not 3D objects.

2) Same goes for when you tried to apply an image to the Fill of your Class. If you were working with 2D Objects, this could work, but not 3D.

To add an image to a 3D object you need to create a Renderworks Texture.

Vw2024 Help File — Creating Textures

I would also recommend looking at the Vw University training portal for the basics on how Vw works, as it often works differently from the way that other 3D applications might work.

Here is a link to a 4min course titled ‘Apply Object Texture’:

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=1440

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Iainy1961 said:

I just want to add depth to a view in the rendered document. All I want to do is add an image to this object. I have tried adding image, nope, adding by class, nope, adding by texture, this way the resource manager wouldn't even let me look at the image file. I am missing a step somewhere and I don't know what it is. Most other rendering programs, ie Light Converse, I can just drop the image into an object, but here it seems a lot more convoluted. A decal won 't do it, it appears it only works on a pre-textured image. 

This is easily done in Vectorworks using a texture or a decal...

You just need to make a texture using your photo.  You make the "size" of the texture the same width as your object you want to map it to.  You can adjust the position of the texture mapping in the render tab if it doesn't  look the way you want.  You also probably want to turn off vertical and horizontal tiling.

See the attached file for an example.

What type of object are you trying to apply the image to?  Oh, and a Decal will work too, you just have to follow the correct steps.

scenery.vwx

• Like 2

The easiest way I've found to add an image to the background is to create an image prop.  It is found under the Model pull down menu.  Not sure if this tool is available in all versions of VW.   You should include your VW version in your signature.

image prop.png