Modeling Additional Slings for Rigging Attachments

Looking for some initial input into this project. I want to make additional attachment slings for trusses. To not only dial in trim heights more accurately, but also have correct visuals to add to the drawing.

For example the 12in imperial sling that is in the VW library is very nicely drawn and is made of a single sling that looks to be 6ft long.

image.thumb.png.deea65297cde926a5c059168f9d36165.png

I like the look of the span set and I know about "Extrude Along Path" and I suspect that would be a good starting place, but I don't know how to go about getting the areas where the sling is bunched up to look right like it does in theirs. The attachments I want to build will not only include wraps like above but also some chokes, double wraps, etc.

I would be happy to take any input into the process. Or...Maybe someone already has built more slings and I can get access to those?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Those were made using NURBS to create the choked section and then simple NURBS lines with curves to go under the truss and connect at the top. The trick is to do each component at its own NURBS piece and then compose them together before doing the extrude along path command. For that particular example you show I had one choke section as a NURBS curve that wrapped all around the chord, I had a second curve that connected to the end of the wrap and then under the truss to the midpoint, and the third was a curve that connected to the top of the choke and met where the shackle connects but only to the midline. I then composed those three lines together into into 1/4 of the entire NURBS curve and then mirrored to get 4 total sections. After performing an extrude along path with each section I them combined with the Solid Addition command. If you would like I can send you the template file with the curves already made and then you just have to manipulate and compose to your desired look.

• Like 3
On 2/22/2024 at 10:37 AM, stayathomedad said:

would be happy to take any input into the process

One of the problems for many users new to NURBS is how to build the initial curve.  The 3D dragger has made this much easier, but still an unknown. 

This process can be easier using 3D loci first.  Position 3D points so they make a representation in 3D space of your desired curve.  Then pick off those points, keeping mind that with NURBS, sometimes "less is more".

If your curve is close, but still a bit wonky, you can either modify it using the "Reshape tool" or add more 3D loci.

NURBS are a different beast, but extremely powerful. 

The tutorial below has good examples of curves and more.

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS
  • Like 1