input wall dimentions in D mode

Hi,

Got a very simple question that i have been desperately trying to locate the solution to in help. How does one enter a specific wall length when using the wall tool?

If I want establish the exact peramiters of an existing building prior to renovation I need to be able to input the exact existing wall dimensions. I can not find the option anywhere in the program.

The ability would be a game changer for me.

Thanks

If you activate the Data Bar after you start drawing the Wall by pressing the Tab key, then you can further tab over to the Length field and input the length there, or by inputting the Delta X / Y of the Wall from the starting point.

Note that depending on how your wall is set up, the length you enter might be measured from a different point than you are expecting. Ex: the wall might be measured along the center line of the wall, when you really want it measured along the inside face.

Always confirm your drawn wall lengths by measuring them with the Dimension tool.

Vw2024 Help File — Using the Data Bar

Vw2024 Help File — Drawing with the Data Bar

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 2

A workaround may be to Sketch the Walls and apply associated Dimensions.

You can then edit the Dimension to force moving the Walls into place.

As said VW measures Wall lengths by their middle line.

Which isn't very helpful for L-connected Wall corners.

And you can edit the Wall Length in OIP.

(But may need to do some math to subtract one or two Wall thicknesses ....)

• Like 1
On 2/21/2024 at 10:11 PM, mopax said:

If I want establish the exact peramiters of an existing building prior to renovation I need to be able to input the exact existing wall dimensions

(talking as an 'old-un) Most times it's 'usual' to regard measurements taken on site to be accurate (enough!!) to draw plans from internal notes and assume 90° corners at wall junctions. With a couple of check dims to triangulate a room you can build the existing plans ready for your design changes.

There are odd times - I've had basements and cellar spaces - where old layouts have been changed or where a wall may have been built along the edge of a street or actually dives off underneath or over a neighbouring property (Flying freehold in UK), leaving odd walls not built to the expected 90° junctions. That's when it becomes rather tedious to use standard VW walls. If only you could use a plain line rather than a wall!!

On 2/22/2024 at 9:58 AM, zoomer said:

A workaround may be to Sketch the Walls and apply associated Dimensions.

You can then edit the Dimension to force moving the Walls into place.

Using a virtual wall can help...ScreenShot2024-02-27at14_34_08.thumb.png.21e038a85f2c46a92f5cf5ee148d2aa5.png

Yes - this is way over the top to show an example.

Check dims can be applied and the ends of walls can be moved to meet at junctions way off the 90° expected, but with a far better degree of accuracy.

ScreenShot2024-02-27at14_37_37.thumb.png.4f242d09aea2190f0257b6396ee82436.png

The survey and lines drawn are best taken clockwise to meet the standard VW method. You now have the inner faces in place.

Once you have your accurate layout you can then 'replace' with a suitable existing wall type using 'Align right sides'.

ScreenShot2024-02-27at14_42_34.thumb.png.e8a01609fda7bbf689c458aac2b1a4b9.png

More about virtual walls here....

Another option would be to 'sketch' the walls as Polys then use Create Objects From Shapes... to convert them into Walls. That way you can draw either the exterior of a building or the interior based on your survey dims then apply the appropriate offset to place the Walls one side or the other. This way the length of the Walls (based on the centre line) is irrelevant because they are taking their lengths from one side or the other.

• Like 3