How to create multi pane windows with a mix of fixed glass and top hung panes?

Maybe I just need more coffee this morning but I can't for the life of me see how I can create multi pane windows with a mix of fixed glass and top hung sashes. I'm doing work on an existing house and need to model it correctly. Can anyone guide me? (Using Vectorworks Architect 2023). Should I use curtain walls? If so, how?

Screenshot2024-02-09at11_14_00.png.02c3e86b2c00b81f1c020ea2a9f9e534.png

If it was me I'd do it with WinDoor. If you don't have it already loaded you can get it via Help > Install Partner Products...

You can probably do something with a Curtain Wall but I'm less familiar with that + I think WinDoor is the more natural choice.

Or just model it from scratch if you want as Paul suggests! Create a custom symbol + you can still insert it as a Window for scheduling/tagging purposes if needed.

• Like 1

This model is very simple.  All you need to do is find some tutorials on Add and Clip Surface that are found under the Modify menu.  Then it is just extrude and rotate out the small windows

Just google Add surface Vectorworks and I am sure you will come up with the answers you are looking for.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

This model is very simple.  All you need to do is find some tutorials on Add and Clip Surface that are found under the Modify menu.  Then it is just extrude and rotate out the small windows

Just google Add surface Vectorworks and I am sure you will come up with the answers you are looking for.

Thanks, I just really wanted to do it with a window tool but I'll try this if I don't figure that out.

1 hour ago, Harpahei said:

I just really wanted to do it with a window tool

You don't say what you're on ('No signature - No help' or maybe can't help, should be the new mantra 😆)

Custom Sash Options would do it in 2018. Surely they've kept that alive since I bowed out?

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Create a custom symbol + you can still insert it as a Window for scheduling/tagging purposes if needed.

Yes - certainly more flexible for some older window styles.

Come back (with signature) if you want further info for your version.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

Custom Sash Options would do it

I completely forgot about that! This is the best option.

6 minutes ago, Gadzooks said:

You don't say what you're on

In fairness they do say they're on VW2023 in their post, hence I knew they'd have access to WinDoor

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Custom Sash Options would do it in 2018. Surely they've kept that alive since I bowed out?

It's still there, but I find it doesn't always register input and is a little quirky.  Here's how you get there if you want to try.  The "Use symbol checkbox" is what you'd use if you want to model the window as a symbol and use that.  Quickest way would probably be to create a Window object that is close to what you want, Ungroup it, and modify the resulting objects to create the Symbol.

VWCustomWindow.thumb.png.d45638e962f5fc202328a6bd013aa4b1.png

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 2