Scale object with texture

Hi Kevin

Hope you are enjoying fine weather, balmy minus 3 here this morning.  

When I scale an object up the texture does not scale with it.  I guess that is the question I was asking.

I must admit, I find texture mapping in VW......challenging perhaps is a good word.  I don't need to do this, but interested in doing it. 

Something else I don't understand is why the object below is 116 MB in size.

Screenshot2024-02-04at10_16_55AM.png.586b78cd1014fbf2678d390d08afeca3.png

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS

Paul, Tom is spot on correct....if you scale an object that has a repeating regular texture, it will be fine....BUT...as you also noted, if you have an image, or like in the example below, a soup can label, after scaling the soup can you will need to mess with scaling the label texture. I have never found a way around this.

Let me know if you would like the actual file.

Screenshot2024-02-04at9_12_02AM.thumb.png.801b13cf57666545bf435f44ac2c29f6.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Something else I don't understand is why the object below is 116 MB in size.

Vectorworks does not compress texture images at all, so I'm guessing you're using a high resolution image as the basis for your texture.  When you're setting up your texture images, you need to have an idea of what the texture is going to be used on.  If it's going to be on a graphic label that's 1'x1' that's going to be in a small rendering at 300dpi, then it can be fairly low res.  In general, I try to have my texture images be no more than 200kb each, making exceptions for textures on large objects or objects that will be taking up large amounts of page space in the final renderings.

• Like 1

It did have to do with the textures, but not the way you would think.  There were some textures in the file that I was not aware of, but they were not used and did not add up to 116.  All tolled, the should have added up to 32 MB.  

I removed them and the file with the shown texture reduced to 668 KB.

I have been using VW 2024 for a three weeks now and  it has some very real memory handling issues, but not insurmountable.