Smart Tag's & Viewport Attributes

I don't think this is possible plus I don't fully understand why you would want to do this... You want the section line to display information about itself rather than the viewport derived from it? My section lines display the viewport number + the number of the sheet that VP is on: so you know where to find the section VP that the section line is cutting. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. Also, sections can be cut on Design Layers of course so what would 'sheet where first cut' display in these instances?

What does 'sheet were drawn' mean? Is that the sheet which the section VP is on?

This being said I've never explored using custom parameters for the marker fields as I've never needed to do anything else but be interested to know what the possibilities are...

I guess it should read "Sheet were Detail Drawn", "First Sheet Where Cut". 

These section mark and parameters have been used by my office and family for decades. At least since 1961. It helps navigate through a set of sheets. 

Was able to do this automatically in Revit and ACAD

Is there at least a manual way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I don't think this is possible plus I don't fully understand why you would want to do this... You want the section line to display information about itself rather than the viewport derived from it? My section lines display the viewport number + the number of the sheet that VP is on: so you know where to find the section VP that the section line is cutting. Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. Also, sections can be cut on Design Layers of course so what would 'sheet where first cut' display in these instances?

What does 'sheet were drawn' mean? Is that the sheet which the section VP is on?

This being said I've never explored using custom parameters for the marker fields as I've never needed to do anything else but be interested to know what the possibilities are...

#Sheet Number# will return the sheet that the detail is on.

As I said I don't think "First Sheet Where Cut" is possible in a section-elevation line because VW doesn't distinguish between where the section line is initially drawn (which as above could be on a DL rather than a SL anyway) + subsequent iterations of it wherever you happen to place them. As far as I know.

But you can do this with back referencing in a drawing label. So in the section VP you would have a reference back to the VP where the section was cut.

• Like 1

I agree with Tom, there is certainly no automatic way to do this.

I played with this a little bit looking for a workaround. I came up with one very poor one.

You could attach a custom record to each section line instance where you could type the "first sheet" data. You could then Edit the Marker Style for the section lines to show that field data.  But two things make this very bad.  1. You would have to manually attach the record to each section line instance. If you use the Section Line Instances button in the OIP for a Section Viewport, the custom record is not attached even if it is on the primary section line. 2. If you change the data in the record, the display on the drawing does not update until the Section Marker is regenerated.  The easiest way is to use the Tools:Utilities:Reset All Plug-ins.  But that then does all objects. It would be a fairly easy script to only reset the Section Lines, but it would still be a manual step.

It may be possible to use the Data Manager to attach the record, but I think it would always be a manual process to enter the data for each section line instance.

Another possibly better work around, since the Section Line Markers are kind of a subset of Data Tags, would be to create a separate Section Line Style for each section cut that would contain the "first sheet" information and then just apply the correct style to each section line instance.

Or maybe don't use section lines but instead just make a Data Tag that has the information you want and do the coordination entirely manually.

Sorry.

4 minutes ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

<<But you can do this with back referencing in a drawing label. >>

How would one do this?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

See this VWU course:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=554&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=1108

There is a section in the Drawing Label Tool section about Back Referencing...

You need to include a ‘BackRefSheetNo’ text field somewhere in the drawing label layout.