Workaround for exporting site model to landxml.

I know this is a wishlisted subject, but right now I'm looking for a workaround.

I need to deliver a site model in landxml, but I can't seem to get the correct geometry with the methodes I've tried. 

I've tried:

• Exporting the site model to dwg (and working with this in Civil 3D). 
    • This Creates a polyface that has many problems with the geometry/triangles.
  • Creating a landscape area and exporting this to a dwg (and working with this in Civil 3D)
    • In Civil I explode the block and then also the polyface to turn it into 3D-faces. 
    • This reduces the number of errors quite a bit, bit there are still some glaring ones. 

Any other suggestions to get this to work?

@aage.langedrag @kwik @Helene Bast @Scott Campbell

Screenshot path.png

screenshot landscape area.png

• Like 1

Are you a BETA tester? Try to see what there is of discussion and solutions there, also VW and DWG.

Yes, I want to be able to deliver "LandXML", but when it's not easy, we have to look ahead. What will the file be used for? Basis for new terrain surface in other software for planning? Use DWG, DXF or IFC. If the file is to be used for machine control and construction, the matter is solved very easily. "All" contractors and landscape gardeners in Norway use PowelGemini. PovelGemini can extract machine control surfaces, lines and points directly from IFC which they use to build from. Remember that in most projects there is a requirement that everything put out in the field must go through a company with PRO and UTF approval. (In Oslo requires class 3). I don't think LARK is always aware of the responsibilities they take. Therefore, we send our model as IFC with the correct geometry and information via an approved company. Forget KOF, DWG and LandXML and start using IFC which is here to stay. Reduces the number of file types. The same file that is delivered for planning is also used for construction. Could this be a solution? AGAIA

builds and obtains construction data only from IFC at New Hospital in Drammen.AGAIA - Drammen hospital

Very satisfied with solution and method.

Edited by aage.langedrag
  • Like 2

Have you tried exporting very detailed 3d contours of your VW site model in DWG format (e.g. setting contours to small intervals to get sufficient quality)? I think this can provide better results in some cases when working between Civil3D and VW.

I change the 3d view of site model to detailed 3d contours (e.g. 10cm interval) and export those as a DWG to build the surface in Civil3D, avoiding problems where it misinterprets surface data.

I don't know what the future of LandXML format standard is at a global level, but it probably wouldn't hurt for VW to have some kind of plug-in.

Edited by Poot

Havent really tried it out in a project, but my initial thought would be to have as much likeness to the triangulation you have in Vectorworks, to what you will get from importing the dwg into Civil 3D . So importing the Site Model as a TIN and adding that to the surface in Civil 3D as 3D Faces would give the best result, so I'm surpiced to see your result here @Knut Andreas

Another workaround would be to export the Site Modifiers as DWG instead of the TIN-surface. And then adding them to a surface in Civil as breaklines. That will possible give a different triangulation and be a source for errors...

Really nice input from @aage.langedrag! Look to the future! Meanwhile we struggle with the workarounds. Name of the trade...

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1