Roof face via 2nd Click Height

Benson Shaw

Question

Trying to make roof face via the pref labeled "2nd Click Height".  Here is Help text:

2nd Click Height

Creates a roof slope based on a mouse click position (this option only available in Top/Plan view). Enter the Height for the second mouse click.

Working in Top Plan, with normal snap options.

1.   Number of clicks and what they accomplish:

I think(?) this process actually requires 3 clicks. Is this incorrect in both the dialog and the Help?

Clicks 1 and 2 establish the axis for the slope, similar to the other modes.

A 3rd click is required to complete the command, same as other modes.

2.  Snaps gone

Snaps work as expected for Clicks 1 & 2

No shaps available for 3rd click.  No acquisition of points, edges or edge extensions.

Tabbing into smart cursor allows entry of the L field, but that produces roof face with incorrect height.

-B

Screenshot2024-01-17at3_21_48PM.thumb.png.b8053a6bbe149e48f790b8afc4c328cb.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Use only as directed
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

I never noticed this option before but you're right, it seems to require three clicks not two + it is strange that you don't have any snaps for the third click. However it does give the correct height when I try it, it is just you are relying on clicking at the desired location without being able to snap to it which is a bit rubbish. So enter the desired height in the 'Height' parameter in the 'Create Roof Dialog' then this is the height that the Roof Face will have based on where you place the third click. In your movie, you placed the third click approx 2/3 of the way up the rectangle so it is at that point on the Roof Face that it will have the height of 4.0 whereas you were measuring the height at the far edge of the finished article which is why it was 4.579. But without snaps can't see this being any use whatsoever. You should file a bug report!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

This option has been around for ages, and it works well when you know the height, but not the roof angle. remember that the height specifier is measured to the underside of the roof. 

Yes but unless I missed something, the height is determined by where you place your third mouse click + because there's no snapping it's very imprecise...? If you could snap it would work well. Has it always been like this? I tried in VW2023 only.

5 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

If roof style datum is Top shouldn’t the option place top of roof face at the height?  Sorry, can’t test for myself at the moment. Will try to look into it later. 

-B

Yes it's dictated by the Datum setting

• Like 1