Updating References from google drive and slow file opening

Janina Sanchez

Question

Hello,

I am using the most updated VW2024 Landmark. In our office we use Google Drive for all our files. In some of the more advanced and detailed models we have noticed that opening the files takes up to 30 minutes. It seems like it lags in the "Updating references" step. We have quite a few references in each file, and they all are in the cloud based directory but available locally. So we wonder if there is a better way to use references in our workflow to avoid these ridiculously long opening times ? Any insights would be welcomed !

Thank you again for the help! 🙂

Janina

4 answers to this question

We're experiencing similar issues as well. We tried to move the file locally, but it doesn't seem to improve the speed. Updating references works perfectly yesterday, but it just takes almost 45 mins to open the file today. The most ridiculous things is we didn't even update the referenced file..

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello! 

I would recommend to contact Vectorworks tech support to look into this further. I would say, that maybe, this is happening because of the file size, but if moving files locally results in the same issue this definitely needs to be looked into further. 

Just for the test you could try again to copy all of the files including references that are within referenced files on to your local machine and see if updating them and then restarting Vectorworks still takes long. 

You can find Tech contact details under the link below:

https://customers.vectorworks.net/support

We have the same issue except our files are on Dropbox rather than Google Drive, but they are all sync'ed to be available locally. I had hoped VW24 would help but it seems to make the files take even longer to open. 

Are you certain the files are set to "Make Available Offline" versus "Make Online Only"?

Available Offline means that each person will have a copy on their local hard disk in addition to the "master" copy on the Dropbox server.  Online Only means that file is the the Dropbox server with a "stub" on the local disk to allow the file to be downloaded when needed.

I have all my files set to Available Offline and I have no issue with speed of loading or saving.  Except for the 10GB files I am working on that are just a lot of data to transfer on every save.