What machines are you running?

JonKoch

22 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I would be happy to post some additional pictures. What would you like to see?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the detailed description, you satisfied my curiosity!

I was just wondering why you didn't chop the file into separate chunks and reference them back into a master file, would that help in any way in terms of machine performance?

In Example I am now approacing a complete 3d model of a 2000sqm, grade listed house here in London spanning 7 storeys. I already completed the models of the rooftop and the basement as these had to be sped up in order to obtain consents. Now I am preparing a rough master file setting up the storeys, wall stiles, etc and was planning to bring in the roof top and the basement as references instead of copying the info from the individual layers.

3 hours ago, Flair-Studio said:

I was just wondering why you didn't chop the file into separate chunks and reference them back into a master file, would that help in any way in terms of machine performance?

If this was my model I probably would have split it up. But getting multiple revisions of STEP files that had to be imported and cleaned up limited my options for doing that.

It also didn't help that the models of some of the components were excessively detailed.  What we needed was an external fit up model so we could make sure everything fit. What we got were motors that modeled everything including the bearings and windings inside the housing. The electrical panels include all of the internal mounting and door hardware. One of the value actuator (the size of a football) had a bounding box over 1000 m long due to the huge radius of some surface in the manufacturers logo that was engraved (and included the 0.1mm fillets at the bottom of the logo).

Add to that the inclusion of full detail fasteners (over 2000) and you can see why it is a very large and slow model.  But we managed to make it work ok.

I would have posted the VGX link, but I can't get it to open.  Took all (or maybe more) the 24 hour maximum processing time on VW Cloud to generate.

Good luck on your building. In your case bringing in references is probably the way to go.

But if you get too detailed, you will always be big and slow.

Had a client one time who insisted on modeling reality, including the hanging wires behind the pictures on the wall.  When he complained about it being slow we simply turned off all the things that couldn't be seen (that he paid to have modeled) and it ran fast enough for him to be happy.

<Soapbox>

The purpose of the model is not to simulate reality. The purpose of the model and drawings is to communicate information. You don't need to be any more detailed than is required to successfully communicate the information that needs to be transferred.

I was taught to never dimension the same thing in multiple places. So if you Dim the doors and windows in the plan view, don't also dim the horizontal location also in the evaluation. All that does is provide a chance for an inconsistency.

I have my little niche and I don't know a lot about entertainment lighting or architecture. But, it sure seems like a lot of the complaints I see here on the forum are the result of people wanting more accuracy and detail than is truly required to convey intent.

</Soapbox>

My $0.02. In no way represents Vectorworks Corporate. I am just a volunteer moderator.

Pat

• Like 1