How to create a completely custom fence with new fence tool? SOLVED!

JonKoch

Hello!

There's a lot of hype surrounding the new fence tool and I agree it's a huge upgrade. I was wondering, however, how customizable is the tool really such that I can create a fence that is different from the stock Vectorworks styles? In the past I've always drawn my fence details in elevation and in construction details but is it possible to create my own infill panels or post profiles? What if I want to add scalloped transitions or certain pieces of trim to make it even more customized? 

I just haven't seen an in depth tutorial yet on how to use the tool to create truly unique fencing or how to create custom infills, rails, posts, etc...

Thanks!

Edited by JonKoch
I was able to figure the issue out.
  • JonKoch changed the title to How to create a completely custom fence with new fence tool? SOLVED!

I was able to figure this out by some trial and error (just like anything!)

For those who want to know: If you want to create a completely custom fence infill panel, you have to build it by 3D modeling it and then saving it as a symbol which will then pop up as an option when you go to choose the panel infill in the fence tool. Really amazing that this works actually. This has made my day!

Additionally, it looks as though you can just draw a profile for an infill board or rail or anything really and the fence tool will use that and scale it appropriately!

I'm excited to continue messing with this tool. 

• Like 3

here are a couple of fences I made to try out the fence. the corrugated metal is common on older houses where I live. the small post on was a test for a client. 

I Think this is extremely powerful and flexible. As Jon says, if you want to make a complete panel, you can model it in 3-D and save it as a symbol. 

You can't see it in these views but I did create custom post profiles and custom rail profiles.

2023-11-22_20-18-25.thumb.png.37c00ea950646eb54c515eb929ca67de.pnghere 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, pitter said:

Hello @JonKoch
Could you upload an example drawing. I don't quite understand how to use the tool yet.
Many thanks in advance

Hi @pitter 

I've attached a quick test file for you to check out. The single fence panel in the drawing is a symbol that I 3D modeled with all the individual parts. Once you create the symbol, you can go into the fence tool and choose your infill type as "panel pre-constructed" in the general settings. Then when you use the drop down, your symbol should appear in the resource manager as an option for your infill. I have not tried making custom profiles yet for things like rails, posts, and infills but it's on the list. 

Hopefully this gets you in the right direction. 

test.vwx

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Katarina Ollikainen said:

Here is a recording on how to use the fence tool. It's one of the coffee break sessions in Vectorworks University https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=5719

Hi @Katarina Ollikainen Thanks for this! I'll watch this today. I did have one question. In my test file that I attached above, I created a 4' high x 8' wide panel. Obviously not every run of fence will be divided perfectly and I noticed that on the last section where it is a shorter span between the posts, it doesn't have the full frame included. I'm sure it's just a small setting or something that I'm missing but is there a way to have the full characteristics of the 8' wide panel fit into that remaining section? Thanks!

@JonKoch  Hi Jon.  I will never use this model again and I thought perhaps you or someone else could put it to use in the future.  It is all modelled in Vectorworks.  The curves are not included, but it can still be modified with normal tools, Solids, etc.

I was going to send to the Vectorworks Store, but that is a long way off.

The parts are all separate.

ORNATE FENCE.vwx

ORNATEFENCE.thumb.jpg.7bcd6182f71ee97e1ba225e05822ec03.jpg

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

@JonKoch  Hi Jon.  I will never use this model again and I thought perhaps you or someone else could put it to use in the future.  It is all modelled in Vectorworks.  The curves are not included, but it can still be modified with normal tools, Solids, etc.

I was going to send to the Vectorworks Store, but that is a long way off.

The parts are all separate.

ORNATE FENCE.vwx

ORNATEFENCE.thumb.jpg.7bcd6182f71ee97e1ba225e05822ec03.jpg

@VIRTUALENVIRONSLooks great! I spent a lot of time last night and today experimenting and I watched the coffee break video on the new fence tool that @Katarina Ollikainen presented and that really helped in understanding the power of this tool. Thanks again!

One other question I had is about the option to show a gate 3D open? I know I can change the 2D graphics of a hybrid symbol to show the gate swing but I tried rotating the gates 3D geometry 45 degrees but it still places the gate in the fence from the middle of the gate so the gate doesn't hinge from the right spot. That probably makes no sense, but I know in doors you can show them 3D open so it would be cool to see that in the fence gates!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@JonKoch, the gates are 3D/hybrid symbols, so if you want to change it to open, you must do this inside the symbol itself. You can change both the 2D and the 3D to whatever you like. Remember the invisible geometry you must place in the gate symbol to control how it connects to the fence line.

The ability to have views of both open and closed gates is on our '2.0 list'.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Katarina Ollikainen said:

@JonKoch, the gates are 3D/hybrid symbols, so if you want to change it to open, you must do this inside the symbol itself. You can change both the 2D and the 3D to whatever you like. Remember the invisible geometry you must place in the gate symbol to control how it connects to the fence line.

The ability to have views of both open and closed gates is on our '2.0 list'.

@Katarina Ollikainen Ahhhh yes, I remember that last part of the video with the invisible geometry. I'll have to do some trial and error to try and wrap my head around that. 

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by JonKoch
  • 4 months later...

Hi I’m looking for someone to help me build my vision what I’m looking for is a fence to go a round my property to be able to put a book on its panel, it needs to be “60x”60 my property is 1 acre approximately 150’x350’ I had already started but finding out over my head I can send what I’ve done so far but would be open for any help your experience would be great. This is only the start of my vision thank u for your time Dan 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Dan Johnson, In the image below, I've just extruded a shape, converted it to a symbol, and then used it as a fence panel (I have to admit, I might have been inspired by the season - I don't expect anyone to build a fence like that). The point is that your fence panels can look however you like. If you want to work with rails, there are a few more parameters to consider, but you have enormous freedom there as well.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 13.42.49.png

• Like 2