Problems with "extents above cut plane" rendering (horizontal section viewports)

line-weight

Question

This is all related to how objects are drawn in Horizontal Section Viewports using the "Extents above cut plane" settings.

(Am guessing similar may apply for "extents before cut plane" in regular section viewports but have not tested this)

It started out with me trying to work out why a structural member was not showing as I expected, but has expanded into a few other questions/issues.

It's all laid out on the sheet layer in the VWX file attached with this post. Screenshot below.

I'll not explain the questions/issues in great detail in text here because looking at the file should clarify (they are all written there with the same numbers), but in brief:

Q1: For certain objects, when I have chosen "hidden line" rather than "dashed hidden line" for objects above cut plane, lines that shouldn't be drawn are getting drawn.

Q2: Lines are being drawn inconsistently when I have chosen "dashed hidden line" for objects above cut plane.

Q3: Lines relating to objects above the cut plane seem to be affected by settings for objects below the cut plane.

Q4: More a usability issue; VW seems to let me choose settings that will have no effect when I've chosen "hidden line" rather than "dashed hidden line" for objects above the cut plane. This is very confusing. The whole setup of all of this is very confusing, because you do the settings for things above the cut plane differently from how you do them for things below. But this makes it even more confusing.

I'm using VW2023 SP7.

Screenshot2023-11-14at11_02_24.thumb.jpg.ab205e1363824711c2d418993ca78a0c.jpg

aboveCPdashed.vwx

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1

3 answers to this question

Thanks @line-weight for putting this post together.

Regarding structural member in horizontal section viewports we are using 2024 but look like missing 2D graphics hasn't been sorted even though there is more granular control over 2D graphic attributes...but I believe it only works for top/plan view...?

I wonder why is it so when all this work went into structural member in last two software versions and it is still not ready for HSVP.....or am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

Thanks @line-weight for putting this post together.

Regarding structural member in horizontal section viewports we are using 2024 but look like missing 2D graphics hasn't been sorted even though there is more granular control over 2D graphic attributes...but I believe it only works for top/plan view...?

I wonder why is it so when all this work went into structural member in last two software versions and it is still not ready for HSVP.....or am I missing something?

The thing is, I started out thinking this was related to the object being a structural member, but I found I get the same problem with a solid that has the same geometry.

Have a close look at my file, and you'll see theres a SM, then an extrude (which I made by converting the SM to a solid, extracting the face as a NURBS surface then extruding it) then another extrude where I drew the profile from scratch using a polyline. All of these seem to display wrongly. And then if you look at viewport 3, where I do ask for dashed hidden line, I get dashed lines but the result is not the same for all three objects.

So I'm not sure if this is a SM problem or a section viewport problem.

Unfortunately I have to come to the conclusion that the "extents above cut plane" bit of section VP functionality is currently unusable. So reflected ceiling plans are still a pain to generate.

P.S.

I just opened my test file in VW2024 in case anything has changed, but see exactly the same results.

Edited by line-weight