Multiple connections to one destination

bjoerka

Is there a way to draw automatically multiple connections to one single device that represents 60 single devices drawn as one single?

In my case these are the connections from a led display controller with 40 control points to his destinations.

Multiple connections drawn with the connect tool starts with all signal starting point but drops off a single connection...

This is what i want to achive without drawing 40 connections .-)

Bildschirmfoto2023-11-01um18_51_40.png.f8900ad59fe1bab8b454605ac8ab34cb.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @bjoerka,

This is currently not possible, at least not directly. One workaround that came to my mind is to create an adapter with the desired amount of sockets, then attach the adapter to the destination device, then use multiconnect to connect the sockets of the source device to the adapter and finally, delete the adapter, which should automatically reconnect its circuits to the socket it was plugged to.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @bjoerka

Just a quick readback first. Using the Connect tool with multi mode activated, you click on the left-hand device with it's many outputs and move over to the right-hand device and the tool does the clever thing and says "oh there is only one destination socket so I can only create one circuit" and although this feature is a great help to many other users, in your case you really want it to be more stupid and just connect everything to the one destination. Correct?

Until we have a way to automatically detect peoples intentions I think at least Niko's workaround is a nice power-user trick. I'm trying to think if there's a way to have both the current behavior and what you need right now, and automatically detect what to do. Interesting puzzle! Thanks for mentioning this use-case.

Conrad

• Like 2

Hi Conrad, yes, you described it correct.

Just to describe my intention behind the multiconnect.

The LED processor has got 40 outputs in the device description. If i want to connect every single output to its destination, then i have to place every single led module so that the output gets connected to its corresponding led destination. In my understanding this is more like a detailed cabling plan for the supplier, so it doesn´t have to be a part of the block schematic.

So the single device, which  i called "LED Wand (wall)" represents a bunch of led tiles.

Maybe it is an option inside the device builder to build a connection that sums up a number of destinations with a checkmark or pop-up window.

just my thoughts .-)

best.

bjoern

Edited by bjoerka

I think this functionality would be valuable as well - I frequently have to connect multiple single-circuit CTP devices to a single multi-circuit CTP device - usually 12 circuits at a time, several batches at a time.

I think it would be most logical as a 3rd and 4th mode of the Connect tool. Single Connect, Multi-Connect, Many-To-One, One-To-Many.

For mode 3, click all source sockets, then have some kind of switch (probably a button in the mode bar?) to signal you're done picking the 'many', and then click the 'one'.

• 3 months later...

This topic seems to confirm my concerns as well but in case not, I'll try to detail my desired functionality and scenario...
I'm trying to draw an audio distribution system where the amplifier connections are "bridged" to a series of 70v ceiling speakers. 

The amp has 2 output channels driving the speakers via a quad-slotted captive screw Phoenix connector (aka terminal block),

'Ch 1 +, Ch 1 -, Ch 2 +, Ch 2 -).

The cables are a dual conductor 16AWG plenum rated "speaker wire", the speakers have the same connector type but 2 slots are "in" and 2 are "out".

I'd like to use the amplifier's "bridged Hi-Z" setting and connect to the Ch 1+ and Ch 2- with the cable itself vs altering an adapter just to create the visual (ie RCA adapters or mini Hi Res breakouts currently available in the app) or using a loop socket to represent the bridged connection.

The "one to many, many to one" Spettitt mentioned is what I'm familiar with as well.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 111345.png

Screenshot 2024-02-23 110709.png