twisted handle

On 10/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, Tom W. said:

I would try:

Extrude a square.

Twist it on end using Deform Tool.

Bend it to form loop using Deform Tool.

Using the deform tool in this way will absolutely work.   The arches below were produced by repeated use of this method, stacking increasingly twisted square extrusions on top of each other so they occupy the same space, then bending them into an arch as a single unit once I achieved the look i wanted in a single straight piece.  The geometry is imperfect, but it is close to being consistent.  However you can probably spot some corners that no longer line up after repeated bendings. For your forged iron look, I doubt that any inconsistencies will really be a detriment to the final look.

image.thumb.png.c6c82a836288c98aa0910b1af4d4b421.png

Edited by jmcewen
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Very nice work.  A little polygon heavy though.  That unfortunately is the downside of deform tools and SubD.

Did you try this with NURBS?

Paul

Polygon heavy doesn't begin to describe it....Haven't tried NURBing out yet.  This has been a personal project of mine for a while-- decided to design something as I learned to use the tools and workflows that were never necessary in my previous career.  Work has picked up, though and I have not been able to get back to it for a couple months. This is just a part of it-- working on a whole cathedral.

image.thumb.png.4dc966fc8ba090573b747f39034e20d2.pngimage.thumb.png.2ebd059ff46fdd8946e031a7ce54a824.png

• Like 4