Tool Set Icons

Can someone point me in the direction of the stored location in Program Files (I'm on a PC) of the icons for the tool sets?  Screenshot added to clarify what I'm looking for.  

I recently upgraded to VW 2024 and want to update the look of my custom workspace.

ToolSetsMarkedup.jpg.6483c266f30cd5ccec34ab46fd99b906.jpg

Thank you!

• Like 1

The icons themselves are stored in a Vectorworks Resource File or .vwr.  What you want to do is open up an Explorer window in your main Program Files\Vectorworks 2024 folder.  In there, you should find a file called Vectorworks.vwr.  Make a copy of this somewhere convenient, then change the .vwr file extension to .zip.  This will allow you to extract the contents of the file using whichever software you prefer (I generally just right-click and select Extract All).  This will give you access to a whole collection of things but what you're looking at in particular will be in the Images\ToolSets folder.

Important things to note specific to VW2024 is that icons are no longer .png format but instead .svg format.  You will no longer need to versions of the icon, one with the @2x suffix for high resolution displays, but you may need a second icon with a _dark suffix for dark mode.

I imagine that if you wanted custom icons for your toolsets, you could extract the .vwr file, convert to .zip, and overwrite the icons in the file.  Once you're done, you can re-zip the file, change the file extension back to .vwr, then replace it in the Program File.  If you are going to go that route, I strongly recommend backing up a copy of the Vectorworks.vwr file somewhere in case something goes sideways.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

The icons themselves are stored in a Vectorworks Resource File or .vwr.  What you want to do is open up an Explorer window in your main Program Files\Vectorworks 2024 folder.  In there, you should find a file called Vectorworks.vwr.  Make a copy of this somewhere convenient, then change the .vwr file extension to .zip.  This will allow you to extract the contents of the file using whichever software you prefer (I generally just right-click and select Extract All).  This will give you access to a whole collection of things but what you're looking at in particular will be in the Images\ToolSets folder.

This is way too complicated for the average user. Computers are supposed to make the complex easier to deal with. Part of what makes Vectorworks is the ability customize.

@Kevin Allen I am very much on your side and agree with you.  Workspace editing could use more than a little work to make things both more streamlined and more customizable.  That said, @ChollyO asked a question, and I answered it.  I wish I had a better answer, but that's unfortunately the answer.  Add a post (or upvote the many, many existing posts) in the Wishlist section.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Am I correct in not seeing several images? For instance, I can't find an image for the tools in toolsets. Meaning, I can find an image for the rigging/braceworks toolset, but no images for truss tool, or hoist tool. That goes for the other toolsets as well. I can find images for the sets, not the images for the seperate tools.

Hope someone can make me search in the right direction,

Peter Telleman

Edited by Peter Telleman