Bending/curving extruded shape on bench

LuukW

Can someone helps me out how to this do the proper way?

I would like to bend an drawing shape consisting of a (good) Polyline on a circular benched shaped form. The drawing shape goes 150mm straight on the floor and then 450cm upwards in a an angle, 600mm bending over the sitting surface and ends up 90º upwards. The drawing shape has to be 10mm thick (material).

I extruded the Polyline to 10mm but when I convert it to a Generic Solid to use the deform tool it disappears. 

Or is there another way to do this? Can't get my head around it..

Much appreciated who can help me out!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Bending:curving extruded shape on bench.vwx

From your description it’s hard to understand what is the end result you’re trying to achieve.

Are you trying to project that “tree roots with luggage” image onto the bench but in a curved pattern? I’m struggling to reconcile your dimensional instructions with that image. 

Maybe if you could post an end result image / sketch of what you’re trying to accomplish it might make it easier for others to assist you.

• Like 1

Yes, the idea is that the ''tree roots with luggage'' image will fold/bent over the bench on the front and top surface.

A small section of the roots will be on the floor/pavement going into the front surface, then bent towards the top surface and then bent straight upwards at the end of the top surface. Plus the ''tree roots with luggage'' image has to follow the circular curve.

I hope this gives a better picture from what I want to achieve.

sketch_example.png

• Like 1

Is the intent to fold the linework on at its normal size or do you want it to  look "correct" from a particular view point like an anamorphic image?  

The first option will end up being a series of compromises, fudging, and muttering "close enough" I expect.

If you are looking for the second option, set your working plane to your preferred view with the polyline placed on top of your bench in your preferred position in the screen plane.  Extrude your polyline, then use the analysis tool to extract the curves from the surface of your bench (and whatever wall and floor objects are behind it.)  

When viewed from any direction other than the view you worked from it will be distorted, but from your chosen direction it will be perfect, and you will not need to bend anything.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LuukW said:

If you simplified your pattern to 2D lifework 1st, this might be doable with a few Deform/Bend operations.

The attached image illustrates this with a simple extruded rectangle, which you would replace with a 2D extrude of your pattern.

Unfortunately, I believe your 3D pattern geometry is too heavy for Vectorworks to Bend easily.

Once the 2D pattern was Bent, you could push/pull it to create a little depth, if the geometry wasn't too heavy or self intersecting.

It's bedtime on the west coast...

ScreenShot2023-09-27at23_18_56.thumb.png.00e8deaf735774d810fbf5ee2202b710.png

Minor correction, seems easier if the pattern is a thin extrude instead of a 2D extrude because the tool doesn't like to bend complex 2D either.

I am surprised how well VWX was able to create this form 6 bends.  Do the profile view first, then bend the plan view thru 90 degrees of a circle to match your bench.

I did my own pattern to test these ideas quickly.

Maybe your design could be simplified by using a texture as well?

ScreenShot2023-09-27at23_49_13.thumb.png.164ff2ec04758274443b55a68faf021c.png

Surprised it handled these warped circles so well.

ScreenShot2023-09-27at23_47_57.thumb.png.c295303a27ca1b9b2fbd6d36f51ffa17.png

Same geo, different texture and view.

ScreenShot2023-09-27at23_47_14.thumb.png.a81c481fb5ba33a7951ecedf606a4a08.png

• Like 2
1 minute ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

It took a while to figure this out.  The tree image is carrying a lot of extraneous data.  Even to get this poor image, I had to move to C4D and it did not like the data.

But, is this something like what you are trying to achieve.  If so, I don't think the proportions are going to work as you want them.  The roots would have to be longer.

TESTING.thumb.jpg.d91b26e338e1a17ed45778b8fd8c6f41.jpg

That’s an image, not geometry correct?  His file has the geometry in it….

Thanks everyone who's thinking with me! 🤙

I've only Vectorworks software to do the job. So I tried Jeff Prince test with a rectangular shape and that shape bends easily.

When I make a Extrude or make a Generic Solid from the polygon images I wont get the red shaped selection when I hover over the object to bend it. The polygon must be too complex like BCD states. I tried to reduce the vertices in the polygon with the Simplify Poly's command. But the best the polygon is reduced with ±40 vertices.. Is there perhaps another way to reduces vertices?

I also spliced the Polygons in slices and then extruded them to bend the parts separately but that also wont work.