Collaborating in real time, same file

oliver.williams

Question

Hello,

I'm in VW 2023 Windows. I work in a company where it would be beneficial to work in the same file at the same time from different computers. Is this a feature that vectorworks has anywhere. Also if we have the same file open on two different computers one one person saves it, the model on the other persons isn't updated so this could lead to errors whenb updating designs. Or work being lost if multiple people have the file open at once.

If this feature is not available is there a way to lock a file so no-one else can make edits whilst you are working in it, or make it a read only file whilst soemone else is working in it.

Any help would be great.

4 answers to this question

I think what you are looking for is the Project Sharing option. There it is possible to define a vectorworks file as a project sharing file. After opening that file on a desktop computer, the project file will be converted into a project sharing working file and several users can work on their own working file and commit their changes to the file on the server.

4 hours ago, markdd said:

You should investigate the Vectorworks Project Sharing feature. This should do what you need.

4 hours ago, bjoerka said:

I think what you are looking for is the Project Sharing option. There it is possible to define a vectorworks file as a project sharing file. After opening that file on a desktop computer, the project file will be converted into a project sharing working file and several users can work on their own working file and commit their changes to the file on the server.

that is what i was looking for but its still a bit clunky and would be better if VW intorduced a collaborative cloud option like onshape or fusion 360 where you could all work from the same file and automatically saves to the cloud, saves all the saving working files/ saving copy as etc. *Vectorworks wish list*

Yes. I think it always depends where your co-workers are located. If everybody works in one location then the project sharing server on a local machine in your network is for shure the faster option.

Using cloud storage system has always lead to a kind of delay when someone has committed their changes until you´ll be notified inside vectorworks that changes have been made to the project.