Scale and importing surveys and maps

Hiya! 

One thing I've been struggling to get my head around is something super basic with the file set up. 

I have a template set to 1:50. When I import a survey or map DWG file it’s usually 1:1, so when it imports it's much bigger, which makes sense. And ultimately doesn't really matter as I can work from this in 1:1 and then the viewport scales it. 

But am I doing this totally wrong and should I be trying to import the files for surveys and maps to 1:50 or resizing them to this? Or should I be working in 1:1.

I'm confused! 😄

Do everything in modelspace @ 1:1, and make viewports at 1:whateverscale to page/sheet space.

In using various CAD's since 1999 for everything from signage to spaces 100km across I have never needed to do designspace work at scales other than 1:1

idk why VW allows different designspace layer scales, but I think it's a legacy from when it lacked page/sheetspace.

No, don't do everything at 1:1.

Layer scales are really just a kind of preset zoom.  They let you work with full detail and real world dimensions at something that is closer to your desired output size. That way your can use line weights and font sizes that make sense instead of having to use huge values on the design layers so they look right in scaled viewports.

There are options in the DWG/DXF import to automatically scale things when you import them. 

Or you can select the object and scale it using the Modify:Scale command after import to make sure it is the proper size.

This has long been a debate. But I think unearthed is in the (very small) minority using 1:1 design layers. 

It will work either way, but if you took a poll of the "power" users here I think you would find 90%+ use scaled design layers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, deadtomorrow said:

Hiya! 

One thing I've been struggling to get my head around is something super basic with the file set up. 

I have a template set to 1:50. When I import a survey or map DWG file it’s usually 1:1, so when it imports it's much bigger, which makes sense. And ultimately doesn't really matter as I can work from this in 1:1 and then the viewport scales it. 

But am I doing this totally wrong and should I be trying to import the files for surveys and maps to 1:50 or resizing them to this? Or should I be working in 1:1.

I'm confused! 😄

I also have my Design Layer scale set to 1:50. When you import a DWG survey, the 'model space scale' that you specify in the Conversion tab determines the scale of the design layer that your geometry will be imported onto. It has no bearing on the size of the geometry itself, it just means that if your existing design layers have a scale of 1:50 + you specify a model scale of something different, you will end up with design layers with different scales which you generally wouldn't want. So when you import a DWG, just make sure you set the model space scale to 1:50. Once you do it the first time it will be there each subsequent time so you don't really need to think about it thereafter.

That's my understanding at any rate.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2023 at 5:51 PM, Tom W. said:

I also have my Design Layer scale set to 1:50. When you import a DWG survey, the 'model space scale' that you specify in the Conversion tab determines the scale of the design layer that your geometry will be imported onto. It has no bearing on the size of the geometry itself, it just means that if your existing design layers have a scale of 1:50 + you specify a model scale of something different, you will end up with design layers with different scales which you generally wouldn't want. So when you import a DWG, just make sure you set the model space scale to 1:50. Once you do it the first time it will be there each subsequent time so you don't really need to think about it thereafter.

That's my understanding at any rate.

Thanks Tom, that makes a lot of sense to me. 

This is a really basic question, but in the design layers, do you have the Title Block and page outline showing, or is that only meant to appear in the Sheet layers? I think I've set up my template incorrectly, which is why I'm confused as the map is so much bigger than the Title Block and page. 

I've attached an example. The Title Block and page outline are the dark rectangle in the middle of the map. 

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 18.00.31.png

2 minutes ago, deadtomorrow said:

Thanks Tom, that makes a lot of sense to me. 

This is a really basic question, but in the design layers, do you have the Title Block and page outline showing, or is that only meant to appear in the Sheet layers? I think I've set up my template incorrectly, which is why I'm confused as the map is so much bigger than the Title Block and page. 

I've attached an example. The Title Block and page outline are the dark rectangle in the middle of the map. 

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 18.00.31.png

Cool.

I personally only use Title Blocks on sheet layers. And I always hide the Page Boundary on the design layer.

• Like 1