Adding weight to 3D symbols, and attachment offset (Hoist controller)

Wood

I'd like to turn my hoist control symbol into an object that will snap to my truss automatically, much like a chain hoist automatically snaps to centerline of truss the configured distance above the truss line. 

The hoist control should attach to the the top of the truss geometry on centerline, and also contribute to the load calculations. Since braceworks knows how tall each truss is, I'd love for that to change the offset to be correct between different truss shapes. Bonus points if I could get all of this to work with the cable tool which thus far I have been unsuccessful in configuring properly. 

Can this be done?

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can, but you need to fake it a bit. Convert the controller into a lighting device and edit the 3D geometry to move the box up equal to the height of the truss. Being a lighting device will automatically add the power consumer for power. In your lighting paperwork, if you need it, filter out the rigging layer so the controller doesn't end up in the light paperwork.

another option if you are planning to use the controller with the cable tools is to set it up as a distributor object by adding electrical components. All dirtibutors have weights and can be attched to trusses  and pipes as well

• Like 1
On 8/29/2023 at 5:01 AM, jcogdell said:

another option if you are planning to use the controller with the cable tools is to set it up as a distributor object by adding electrical components. All dirtibutors have weights and can be attched to trusses  and pipes as well

This is the path I'd like to go down. I tried making a distributor from scratch but couldn't figure it out. Would you have a moment to make some basic geometry with 6 Veam out and L21-30 in and out so I can see how it works?

Thanks Jesse! 

@Wood
Which type of Veam connector?

From their website there are a large number of options and since I'm based in Europe where most hoists use CEEform connectors, I have no idea whích version should be used.

The process for creating new connector types and distributors is covered in detail in the Cable tools learning path on the Vectorworks university.
One thing to consider is if you only want to plan the cabling and are not bothered about the power calculations you can just add the input and output components with out connecting their pins together.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2023 at 9:28 AM, Wood said:

This is the path I'd like to go down. I tried making a distributor from scratch but couldn't figure it out. Would you have a moment to make some basic geometry with 6 Veam out and L21-30 in and out so I can see how it works?

Thanks Jesse! 

Give me a call.  Been doing it this way for a while.