Panel cutouts

Hello,

I'm in the process of designing a input/output panel for a rack and wanted to use Vectorworks (which I already use for lighting design) to draw it in 3D and eventually make the files for machining the panel cutouts. I have a series of similar cutouts to punch on the same panel like the one attached. Is there any way I can draw the three holes (connector + 2 screws) and have these 3 objects "dynamically punch holes" in an extruded rectangle (the panel)? So I can move them around and dynamically have the panel "punched" if that makes sense.

Also, any advice here as to how to approach this to make the file usable for CNC machining/laser cutting? Also wanted to do laser engraved labels, can I bake everything in the same file? I already modeled the entire rack + connectors in 3D but wanted to make a more accurate version for when machining time comes. 

Thanks!

panelcutout.png

cutouts_example.png

27 minutes ago, jacoporicci said:

and have these 3 objects "dynamically punch holes" in an extruded rectangle (the panel)? So I can move them around and dynamically have the panel "punched"

AFAIK not really ....

(AFAIK in VW Interior, there are such features like Spotlight enclosures that

auto punch their hole, or kitchen sink that cut a desktop)

Not what is meant for but my idea is to build the panels

by VW's Wall tool. Then you can create your cutouts as Symbols

with cut Walls activated and "insert" them into a Wall.

Usually the best would be to create Solids by an Extrude and do

all cutouts already in the 2D part of the Extrude.

(opposite to doing Solid Subtractions with Cylinders, which often 

get polygonal after further editing - at least in the past)

But Extrudes aren't that flexible, if you have to go in Edit Mode

to do changes like adding or subtracting.

But Extrudes or Solid operations.

You can always go into Edit Mode and move features around later.

You can can also add or remove features - reliable in 2D part of Extrudes,

not so reliable in Solid Subtractions.

44 minutes ago, jacoporicci said:

Hello,

I'm in the process of designing a input/output panel for a rack and wanted to use Vectorworks (which I already use for lighting design) to draw it in 3D and eventually make the files for machining the panel cutouts. I have a series of similar cutouts to punch on the same panel like the one attached. Is there any way I can draw the three holes (connector + 2 screws) and have these 3 objects "dynamically punch holes" in an extruded rectangle (the panel)? So I can move them around and dynamically have the panel "punched" if that makes sense.

Also, any advice here as to how to approach this to make the file usable for CNC machining/laser cutting? Also wanted to do laser engraved labels, can I bake everything in the same file? I already modeled the entire rack + connectors in 3D but wanted to make a more accurate version for when machining time comes. 

Thanks!

panelcutout.png

cutouts_example.png

I think you will need the InteriorXS/Interiorcad add-on in order to do this...

Does it need to be 3D? If you have an advanced fabricator that wants a STEP file from you to machine then maybe, otherwise DXF is the common medium for this.

I would usually make a metalwork DXF (i.e. geometry to punch/cut thru) and a legending DXF (just the screenprinting/etching geometry). Just leave the relevant D-Type cutout geometry in your connector symbols on it's own class and it will move with the connector.

1 hour ago, spettitt said:

Does it need to be 3D? If you have an advanced fabricator that wants a STEP file from you to machine then maybe, otherwise DXF is the common medium for this.

It needs to be 3D only in the design/concept phase as I'm try to embed a bunch of electronics inside these rack modules (where these panels belong) and I'm also planning for internal space. My dream workflow for this would be to have the stp model of each connector downloaded from the Neutrik website and have that "punch thru" the panel so it's only showing the actual cutout and not something like the picture attached (since the actual connector is slightly recessed inside the panel)

1 hour ago, spettitt said:

I would usually make a metalwork DXF (i.e. geometry to punch/cut thru) and a legending DXF (just the screenprinting/etching geometry). Just leave the relevant D-Type cutout geometry in your connector symbols on it's own class and it will move with the connector.

Copy on this, makes sense to split the two files. Can you elaborate on the second part of the sentence though?

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

Usually the best would be to create Solids by an Extrude and do

all cutouts already in the 2D part of the Extrude.

(opposite to doing Solid Subtractions with Cylinders, which often 

get polygonal after further editing - at least in the past)

But Extrudes aren't that flexible, if you have to go in Edit Mode

to do changes like adding or subtracting.

Solid subtraction is what I've been doing for the front cuts, but it's just for visualization and I don't know if it's trustworthy for machining and also how to extrapolate relevant data for metalwork from the 3D view, a viewport maybe with just that panel visible?

Thanks!

J

Schermata 2023-08-21 alle 16.51.09.png

Schermata 2023-08-21 alle 16.56.16.png