How do I select similar objects, when other objects are in groups?

oliver.williams

Question

Hello,

I am in VW 2023 and require some help, i want to use the select similar tool to see how many of a certain object i have in a model (how many red boxes in the warehouse). However the red boxes are contained into groups on each set of racking. When I use the similar selection tool on a red box, it doesnt select all the red boxes in the warehouse that are contained in groups. If I go into one of the groups and use similar selection, it only selects the 12 red boxes on that one set of racking (in that group) not all other groups in the warehouse. 

Is there a way of quickly seeing the number of red boxes in this warehouse without ungrouping all the sets of racking?

Any help would be great, ill include a photo to help explain. 

image.thumb.png.e950701a7e32f6ae990c9be515a19c08.png

3 answers to this question

The Select Similar Tool does not select Items inside other items. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you should explore the Custom Selection or perhaps better still the Custom Modification command which (from memory) will allow you to select items inside groups so that you can change a parameter that is common to all of them.

If you want to highlight them specifically so you can visually identify them, then the Data Visualization tool will allow you to do this easily enough and can search and indicate items that are nested within groups and other "container" objects.

Edited by markdd
25 minutes ago, oliver.williams said:

Is there a way of quickly seeing the number of red boxes in this warehouse without ungrouping all the sets of racking?

Another option is to create a simple report to count the red boxes, easily done if they are symbols or if just Extrudes if they are on their own class. Then as you fill the warehouse it's just a matter of updating the worksheet to give a running total of how many boxes you have