Unreal Engine 5.3 Preview

Mark Aceto

Announcement:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/unreal-engine-5-3-preview/1240016

Roadmap:

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/tabs/88-unreal-engine-5-3-in-progress

I did a quick search for "mac" and found nothing.

If I had to guess how this "VHS or Beta" scenario will play out:

• Mac / Unity
  • Windows / Unreal

After seeing my Blender instructor's 3090 machine destroy my M1 Ultra, I'm just waiting for Puget to confirm that they can build a system with a Fractal North case. Mac for daily driver. Windows for rendering and heavy lifting. This is the way.

• 1 month later...

My crumb of hope is seeing the next iPhone Pro's A17 chip has hardware accelerated raytracing. The lack of this on previous M-series chips is what has stopped Twinmotion's pathtracer from being brought to MacOS.

But sadly I think I agree that Windows for heavy lifting is the most sensible approach. Enjoy your 3090 if you get one, or maybe go for a 4090 now?!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 8:23 AM, _James said:

My crumb of hope is seeing the next iPhone Pro's A17 chip has hardware accelerated raytracing. The lack of this on previous M-series chips is what has stopped Twinmotion's pathtracer from being brought to MacOS.

A pretty big crumb. Expectation is the M3 will have some degree of GPU acceleration. However, I imagine Apple will do their typical 3-year cycle of improving it, so the M4 would be closer to wherever NVIDIA is today (but not 4 years from now). I assume a few Windows-only apps will also start developing for Mac. Hard to predict what's going on at Epic but I wish them well. My heart goes out to everyone that got laid off right before Unreal Fest. Absolutely crushing news.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...