Texture Tool is no longer working in 2023 SP5

MGuilfoile

Question

That's right. Another broken tool. This time it is the highly lauded Texture Tool. I really got used to using it to place different textures on different faces. It worked great, but here is what it has been doing lately. I am absolutely sure I have it set to the "single face" application mode. I now have to use the extract tool to extract a face to...oh, wait a minute, that tool isn't working either. I suppose I'm back to placing 1/16" thick panels with transparency maps to get the effect I want. See image for what is happening. The box is a simple extruded, double line polygon, nothing special. Any ideas?

MHBrown

Apples on all faces.JPG

6 answers to this question

Thanks, Bart. This problem happens to me quite often across different files, so not sure what is happening. It was a very handy tool while it lasted, but I can no longer depend on it. Maybe it was fixed in SP6, although it is not listed in the fixes for that upgrade. I didn't see anything in the SP6 revision that was compelling enough to update. Every update brings new and different problems, so I usually will just stick with the ones I know. Maybe I'll install anyway to see if it helps.

MHBrown

I'm still using SP5 and have no trouble with the tool.  I'm also trying to understand what the specific issue you are having is, are you trying to get the apple image to only be applied on one face of the box?

image.thumb.png.c2971508d36cc11a2df3f9817c74b930.png

Even still, if the tool is somehow overriding the other faces with Apply to Face Mode active, couldn't you just remove the offending overrides through the object's Render tab?  Isn't that easier than extracting faces or building new geometry?

image.png.d8cfc4ddbadbfbcb64e71ebe2e26ad16.png

What about the Extract Face tool isn't working for you?  It works as it always has for me.  Textures don't cross over from the original object, but they never have, so to me it's not a busted feature (but may be worth a feature request if this is functionality that is important to you).

If this happens to you again, could you please post a file?  It would be helpful to identify if this is a problem with your Vectorworks installation or a bug within Vectorworks.  I have seen weird behavior affect only a single Vectorworks file (usually one that has been converted from a different VW format through backsaving or opening an older drawing in a newer installation), but I've never seen the behavior you are describing with the texture tool.

I am revisiting this problem that persists on and on. I am attaching a file created in VW2023 SP7. Whatever texture is placed on the face that has the word "Sponsors" will also run across the curved top and down to the other side. There is no way to place a texture map on just one of any of those three faces. The same thing happens on other extrudes (or any 3D object), but turning the corners instead. Sometimes it works fine. This is a problem across all of my files, every day, with every version of VW2023. I really need this to be fixed...plus bring back perimeter mapping. Any advice? If you do not see this problem with this file, then does anyone know how I can repair my particular installation of VW?

Thanks!

MH Brown

Test File OIP.JPG

TEST file for troubleshooting.vwx