IFC ceiling grid made manual does not export in 2023

ida

Hi, For the lack of an ceiling grid tool that exports to IFC we have made our own ceiling grids by using extrudes of 2d lines tagged as covering (ceiling) and grouped. In 2022 that worked perfectly. No we have upgraded to 2023 and it no longer exports. That is a huge problem for our project. Can someone please make that possible again?

We have to convert to NURBS or generic solids. This means its more complex to do any changes.

000 test.ifc 000 test.vwx

• Like 1

My tests confirm that there is something funky going on here. On importing the v2023-generated ifc of your ceiling grid (the extruded lines) into BIMcollab ZOOM, I find that the ceiling actually does import, but it's location is wrong. On importing to Solibri Anywhere, it doesn't seem to import at all. In other words: Something funky. I'll register this as a bug.

But in terms of ifc best practice, in my opionion, extruded lines as a 3D represenation of a suspended ceiling is somewhat questionable. An extruded line represents a plane, actually a 2D object. Following this line of reasoning, I'm tempted to replace your lines with skinny rectangles. In subsequent tests, I see that these (in your extrude) export correctly to ifc. I understand that you are most concerned about ease of editing/revising, and editing lines is likely easier than editing or recreating rectangles. Nevertheless, my workaround results in a true 3D object, and maybe it's worth the extra care.

Of course, all of this focus on cobbling together suspended ceiling objects based on manually constructed lines, rectangles, NURBS surfaces or whatever, again begs the question: Where is the true BIM tool for ceilings in Vectorworks? The Ceiling Grid tool is an antiquated tool which obviously doesn't meet expectations. Many of us have lobbied for years for a modern ceiling grid tool, and here is yet another example of the trouble not having one is causing. 

UP-VOTE ON THE WISH LIST!

Again I suggest that users who agree that the Ceiling Tool needs a proper modern BIM overhaul can up-vote this thread in the wishlist section of the forum. The more votes this wish gets, the quicker the Ceiling Tool moves up on the list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...