Foreground rendering and clipcubes

DianaK

Question

I appear to be having an issue where the background render settings of my viewport, obey the clipcube, but the foreground render settings in this case, hidden line, ignore the clipcube and stick doors in where there shouldn't be. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or do I need to include a sample file?  

(I'm delaying, including the sample file because I would have to make a copy of the existing file and clear out a bunch of stuff for confidentiality, and need to find a free moment to deal with that)

As a sidenote, the reason I am constantly using clipcubes for sections and elevations is I am still reliably crashing, hanging or having terrible update times whenever I make/use a section viewport.  Other people seem to be able to use them, what setting do I have wrong?

• Dislike 1

8 answers to this question

6 hours ago, DianaK said:

As a sidenote, the reason I am constantly using clipcubes for sections and elevations is I am still reliably crashing, hanging or having terrible update times whenever I make/use a section viewport.  Other people seem to be able to use them, what setting do I have wrong?

One thing that may affect this is the complexity of your 3D model, particularly if there happen to be a lot of curved objects and/or meshes.

One thing to try when making a Section Viewport is to click the Advanced Section Properties button, go to the Display tab, and set the "2D Conversion Resolution" to High, or possibly even Medium. (I'm guessing that perhaps yours is set to Very High which is why the viewports are taking so long to compute.)

Screenshot2023-06-16at5_09_57PM.png.b24d46fc84ff788bd4ddb1a535898a1d.png

This can also be changed for existing SVPs by clicking the "Advanced Properties" button in the OIP.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

One thing that may affect this is the complexity of your 3D model, particularly if there happen to be a lot of curved objects and/or meshes.

One thing to try when making a Section Viewport is to click the Advanced Section Properties button, go to the Display tab, and set the "2D Conversion Resolution" to High, or possibly even Medium. (I'm guessing that perhaps yours is set to Very High which is why the viewports are taking so long to compute.)

Screenshot2023-06-16at5_09_57PM.png.b24d46fc84ff788bd4ddb1a535898a1d.png

This can also be changed for existing SVPs by clicking the "Advanced Properties" button in the OIP.

Definitely going to try this one

3 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I’d also try from another SLVP and see what happens. 

I’m sure you’ve investigated the file and what ever might be referenced in, but could someone have brought in some crap geometry?

How do you make a Section VP from a SLVP without a clipcube, don't you have to start on the Design Layer?  The geometry was built by someone else, and it appears to be very simple, but it is using a bunch of custom plug-ins that could be suspicious.  Hard for me to tell.

13 hours ago, DianaK said:

How do you make a Section VP from a SLVP without a clipcube, don't you have to start on the Design Layer?  The geometry was built by someone else, and it appears to be very simple, but it is using a bunch of custom plug-ins that could be suspicious.  Hard for me to tell.

If you have a plan view SLVP, use the command and draw the section line as normally. You can also 'cut' a section from an elevation.

I would check those PIOs

• Like 1