Image Prop Color Fade

DDD

Question

11 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

DDD not sure if that plant image is from the VW library, but if you wish, upload the image and I can have a look. It could be one of several things occurring as to why it is faded.  Hard to tell unless we can see the image. 

Hi Kevin,

Sure, here is the image. I just downloaded it form the web and re-export it as PNG in Photoshop.

crossvine.png

@DDD Ok, sorry for the delay. Had to attend to some life things 🙂

Without having your actual file, I can't really discern exactly what's happening to make the image sort of a grayscale with no color.

That said...here is the deal....when you upload images (plants especially) to use as image props, you need to normally have some space around the plant parts.

Case in point:

Your image:

crossvine.png.4e9b72752e4ad2bfaee7c03198824f94.png

An image example of a gardenia that I included in the attached file:

Note all the black area around the actual plant. So that part will be used as an image mask so when you create the image prop, that part becomes invisible.

Screenshot2023-06-14at2_02_54PM.png.e7479ead53872f9a5fcb2472fb02de78.png

gardenia.thumb.png.274a8c8639139ecebcdde3c6d0f6cbb7.png

Feel free to import the plant/image prop in the attached file, into YOUR file.  It should appear without all the faded coloring....but it will appear but because of the base image it won't look that great.  Compare it to the gardenia 🙂

Hope this helps.

Screenshot2023-06-14at2_39_35PM.png.0a0149b8953f0d45336c96c7a5759763.png

DDD Example v2022.vwx

gardenia.psd gardenia 2.psd

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DDD said:

Hi all,

I am creating new image props for plants, for some reason the outcome is desaturated. is there a way to fix it?

it sounds like you have your image editor set to the wrong color profile or the image you downloaded was saved with the incorrect one.  Verify it is set to sRGB before importing into Vectorworks and you should be good.  This happens with aerial photos and other image based resources too, so something to be aware of.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Kevin K said:

@DDD Ok, sorry for the delay. Had to attend to some life things 🙂

Without having your actual file, I can't really discern exactly what's happening to make the image sort of a grayscale with no color.

That said...here is the deal....when you upload images (plants especially) to use as image props, you need to normally have some space around the plant parts.

Case in point:

Your image:

crossvine.png.4e9b72752e4ad2bfaee7c03198824f94.png

An image example of a gardenia that I included in the attached file:

Note all the black area around the actual plant. So that part will be used as an image mask so when you create the image prop, that part becomes invisible.

Screenshot2023-06-14at2_02_54PM.png.e7479ead53872f9a5fcb2472fb02de78.png

gardenia.thumb.png.274a8c8639139ecebcdde3c6d0f6cbb7.png

Feel free to import the plant/image prop in the attached file, into YOUR file.  It should appear without all the faded coloring....but it will appear but because of the base image it won't look that great.  Compare it to the gardenia 🙂

Hope this helps.

Screenshot2023-06-14at2_39_35PM.png.0a0149b8953f0d45336c96c7a5759763.png

DDD Example v2022.vwx

gardenia.psd 962.23 kB · 0 downloads gardenia 2.psd 3.44 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a bunch! I did some more tests and I kinda know how to get it right. Another question is the image prop looks dark when viewing from a higher point. The color recovers back when the camera drops down to level elevation. Is this just how thing is?

14 hours ago, jeff prince said:

it sounds like you have your image editor set to the wrong color profile or the image you downloaded was saved with the incorrect one.  Verify it is set to sRGB before importing into Vectorworks and you should be good.  This happens with aerial photos and other image based resources too, so something to be aware of.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, in Photoshop I exported images with the white 'background' layer on, and looks like that is causing this issue.

• Like 1

@DDD Good you had some success sorting out the issue(s) 

One thing to be aware of..almost all of the native VW plant image props come in with the reflecting channel set to 'Glow" or as they call it 'constant reflectivity'

I have found when rendering a scene with the reflection option to use the 'glow' setting, the image prop is a bit too intense.

So....I usually set that to 'none'.

As far as the your comment about it appearing 'dark', are you referring to YOUR image you sent me? Or the gardenia I included??

Screenshot2023-06-15at5_25_26AM.thumb.png.b227821dac676ec1f986a7f6712cafaa.png

16 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

@DDD Good you had some success sorting out the issue(s) 

One thing to be aware of..almost all of the native VW plant image props come in with the reflecting channel set to 'Glow" or as they call it 'constant reflectivity'

I have found when rendering a scene with the reflection option to use the 'glow' setting, the image prop is a bit too intense.

So....I usually set that to 'none'.

As far as the your comment about it appearing 'dark', are you referring to YOUR image you sent me? Or the gardenia I included??

Screenshot2023-06-15at5_25_26AM.thumb.png.b227821dac676ec1f986a7f6712cafaa.png

The darkening happens to all image props (yours & mine), I attached the images. I turned on the "glow "option in texture setting and it turns out great. Glad to know this  trick! Currently I only present plants in shaded mode so I guess I'll turn the glow option on for better visibility. Thank you very much!

image.png.ea7cacf32f1a6bbe5b8312c35d01d512.pngimage.png.7650b06b6806520b60475b521023cfdc.png

27 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Do be mindful to check your shaded options...

I will bet money that if you check that, your setting may be set to 'low'. Make sure it is set to at minimum ' high' 

Yes it was set to high all the time, maybe it's a 2023 thing? I notice you are working with 2022.