Aligned pad disappears when trying to edit surface modifiers

I drew an aligned pad and am trying to edit the surface modifiers but when I enter that mode, it just disappears. I checked the coordinates and I should be right around it. I had this happen in another drawing but it always showed up like right next to where the dialog dropped me. 

Any thoughts? My guess is it has something to do with being far away from the origin but that's where the survey came in. I've attached the file (2023 version)

Thanks!

TEST.vwx

12 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Look up georeferencing and set it up so your drawing objects are close the other user origin (or the user origin is close to the objects) and you should have better results.

@Pat Stanford So I just changed the user origin to the center of my drawing area and still no luck. 

You just need to zoom out.  When you enter the object to change the modifiers, the origin centers on the boundary of the site modifier.  If you are zoomed in too close when making this selection, it seems to disappear because your origin is off to the right of the scene.

Did you copy and past this modifier from a different file?  I noticed it has a rotated plan orientation embedded in it.

6 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

You just need to zoom out.  When you enter the object to change the modifiers, the origin centers on the boundary of the site modifier.  If you are zoomed in too close when making this selection, it seems to disappear because your origin is off to the right of the scene.

Did you copy and past this modifier from a different file?  I noticed it has a rotated plan orientation embedded in it.

@jeff prince yeah I tried zooming out and there's still nothing there. On another project I was working on what you mentioned was the case and it worked. 

I didn't paste the modifier from a different file but I created it from a shape that was pasted from another file. Interesting you mention that because I'll be in top/plan in the drawing but when I enter the modifier it changes to rotated top plan. 

7 minutes ago, JonKoch said:

@jeff prince yeah I tried zooming out and there's still nothing there. On another project I was working on what you mentioned was the case and it worked. 

I didn't paste the modifier from a different file but I created it from a shape that was pasted from another file. Interesting you mention that because I'll be in top/plan in the drawing but when I enter the modifier it changes to rotated top plan. 

This file just might be corrupt. I'll have to try doing it in the original file. 

1 minute ago, jeff prince said:

I downloaded your file, selected the site modifier, hit the "edit surface modifiers" button, and had to zoom out to see it....

I then added some stakes to it.  Everything behaves as expected.

Here it is with a little ridge added to it....

310267207_ScreenShot2023-05-05at10_05_31.thumb.png.5b39d6a9ce37eba9166a23751cd04bda.png

@jeff prince what!? Maybe I just need to close the file and try again.

5 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

I downloaded your file, selected the site modifier, hit the "edit surface modifiers" button, and had to zoom out to see it....

I then added some stakes to it.  Everything behaves as expected.

Here it is with a little ridge added to it....

310267207_ScreenShot2023-05-05at10_05_31.thumb.png.5b39d6a9ce37eba9166a23751cd04bda.png

@jeff princeJust tried closing vwx and opening the file again. Still can't see it no matter how far I zoom out. 

7 minutes ago, JonKoch said:

@jeff princeJust tried closing vwx and opening the file again. Still can't see it no matter how far I zoom out. 

I don't know what to tell you.  Are you zooming out with your mouse wheel?  Zooming via "fit to objects" button doesn't work within geometry like this if it has no content.  Once you add some stakes to it, then "fit to objects" works because it has something to zoom to.  Confusing? yeah.

Just now, jeff prince said:

I don't know what to tell you.  Are you zooming out with your mouse wheel?  Zooming via "fit to objects" button doesn't work within geometry like this if it has no content.  Once you add some stakes to it, then "fit to objects" works because it has something to zoom to.  Confusing? yeah.

@jeff prince Yup zooming out with the mouse wheel. I noticed that fit to objects doesn't work. I'm at a loss. If I draw one from scratch and enter the site modifier it pops up for a second and then disappears but I can still snap to the geometry but nothing takes effect.

36 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

@jeff prince It's not just that file. I just went into a file that was working successfully last week and it's doing the same thing. A co-worker was able to open the file that I posted here and work on it. Might have to just shut it down for the day lol

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@JonKochJust a thought - do you see anything at all when you're in the edit mode? Do you have the 'Show other objects while in edit mode' turned on? If not, then you won't see either the aligned object you're editing or anything else. The view of the aligned modifier is only shown 'from outside' as you can't edit the boundary, only the surface modifiers