Why aren't my slab component offsets working?

line-weight

Question

Trying out making a slab to represent a traditional brick foundation, where each course steps out in width as you go down. So I've made a slab, 3 components, each representing a brick course, each with an edge offset.

446167217_Screenshot2023-04-04at11_38_17.thumb.jpg.4d33cf69d842d96bd81ffecf0c5d8071.jpg

But this doesn't seem to work; none of the components are offset:

2098473842_Screenshot2023-04-04at11_37_49.jpg.86dcaab0b8c1362c8ae292c9a48f5b97.jpg

I see that I can do this manually, edge by edge, but if I'm going to do that I might as well just model directly from solids. And how am I supposed to know which edge I'm editing, if I'm editing edge 3 (for example)?

884090697_Screenshot2023-04-04at11_39_25.jpg.90c703da55b3b02357dec24fb864545b.jpg

14 minutes ago, line-weight said:

think if certain style parameters (edge offsets) aren't shown here, it's reasonable to assume that they behave like any other styled parameter - they will be applied to existing instances.

It's also what the documentation leads me to expect:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Floors_slabs/Editing_slab_styles.htm#h

If slabs with that style already exist in the drawing, the Slab Replacement dialog box opens.

The slab style to apply cannot be selected (the edited style is applied).

Changes apply to any existing slabs in the drawing with the edited slab style, and will be used for any subsequent slabs created with that slab style.

This is a good point + I think you're right. The fact that Edge Offsets isn't included as an option for inclusion/exclusion in the Slab Replacement dialog shouldn't mean it is excluded by default when replacing a slab style as is currently the case: it would be more logical if it were included by default, with the parameter you've requested in the wishlist then allowing you to exclude it if desired.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, line-weight said:

@Matt Panzer separate from the main discussion here: do you have any clues why, when I use the per-instance "edge offsets" dialogue, I am not seeing the edges highlighted in red as they are supposed to be?

I have no idea.  I see them with your file.  The only thing I can think of is that you "Interactive" Vectorworks Application Preferences have been changed from the default in some way that affects this.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

I have no idea.  I see them with your file.  The only thing I can think of is that you "Interactive" Vectorworks Application Preferences have been changed from the default in some way that affects this.  

Good call - it works if I have "enable tool highlighting" active - which I previously didn't.