Edit viewport in-place

hey guys

I was wondering if there is a way to edit viewports in-place without having to go back to design layer. If I am doing just 2d drawings and need to have a reference viewport of the plan to draw elevation/projections quickly, but it is not an easy process to have a reference viewport and go back&forth editing the plan and elevation simultaneously without having this transition to the plan design layer then exit this viewport, because it also hides is far away from the elevation so direct projection is not possible anymore to quick edit.

Hopefully someone have a better way to do it.

thanks

image.thumb.png.1414885b0b2bea664f99186765db5021.pngimage.thumb.png.f12ef80067691680fb0c02c5938a8b38.png

If you create a three-dimensional model and cut three-dimensional sections through it, there is an opportunity for you to write click on the viewport and choose edit section place. Also, as you update your plan, your sections and elevations will update automatically.

I understand that seems quicker to draw a quick 2-D plan and elevation, but when you go back and make changes to your design the building information modelling (3D) method becomes more effective.

2023-03-15_08-37-49.png

2023-03-15_08-40-48.png

I worked in 2D only for many years, and had a very different organization system.  Each drawing sheet was a VW file.  Everything was drawn and printed from Design Layers, with no Viewports or Sheet Layers.  Typical Design Layers were Border+Title Block (set to 1:1), Gridlines, Parts, Text&Dim with other layers added as needed.  I often had a grayed Underlay layer and an invisible Hide layer to use for scratch work.  With smart setup, you can align the drawings in the different files such that you can copy a plan, then paste it in place in the section sheet, and have it properly aligned/

• Like 1
On 3/14/2023 at 6:44 PM, shorter said:

Might I suggest organising the file and using layers for each plan/section/elevation/detail rather than one layer? You will find it far easier to edit the information in the design layer

Thank you for your reply, I do completely agree, however that's a shared project between different people, and the way it is setup is to have layers for stories/levels rather for each drawing. 

On 3/14/2023 at 7:40 PM, Jonathan Pickup said:

If you create a three-dimensional model and cut three-dimensional sections through it, there is an opportunity for you to write click on the viewport and choose edit section place. Also, as you update your plan, your sections and elevations will update automatically.

I understand that seems quicker to draw a quick 2-D plan and elevation, but when you go back and make changes to your design the building information modelling (3D) method becomes more effective.

2023-03-15_08-37-49.png

2023-03-15_08-40-48.png

Yes it is definitely easier, however the projects turn over is very high that's why a 2D drawing would be enough.