Mac Mini vs. Studio

Skia_D

I'm about to decide between acquiring the Mac Mini M2 Pro (512 SSD, 32 RAM, 12/19/16 (cpu/gpu/engine cores)) or the Studio M1 Max (512 SSD, 32 RAM, at 10/24/16). Same price for both at $2,000, and I've seen arguments for either. I also followed this thread, PM'd Don for his opinion, and would like to hear others. I'm all ears. Would you go for the hopped up Mini because it has the newer chip, 2 more cpu cores but 5 less gpu cores, but also less ports than the Studio? That thread seems to suggest the Mini at 32 GB RAM beats out the Studios with 64 GB, at least for that rendering test, and definitely the price.

Also, I am only ever going to use one display (an LG 4K Ultrafine I just purchased) and, for more background: My files are of fully modeled/rendered residences, with site model files referenced. File sizes usually range between 220 and 360 MB. I've been on iMacs for the last 12 or more years, and my current is a 2019. I usually hope to get 6 years of use, but it can not now keep pace with VW current versions, and would hope that whichever I purchase can get me back on that 6 year cycle. Which of these would be more future proof? Finally, VW is the only thing I do with my computer that needs power. I don't do gaming, video editing, etc.

• Like 1

If you are doing renders that take more than about 10-15 minutes to complete (or multiple sequential renders that take longer than that) then get the Studio. The active cooling will keep it running at full speed all the time while the Mini may end up slowing down due to thermal cycling required to keep it cool.

• Like 1

Thanks, Pat, that's a helpful consideration.

@bcdI have never needed much storage. After 22 years of running my business I still have plenty of available space on my current 512GB drive. And, I could easily free up 100 GB when I get around to housecleaning, which I plan to before migrating to the new computer.

• Like 3