I am a custom residential designer (former architect) in the Blue Ridge Mountains in southwest Virginia (Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech, and the New River Valley region more specifically). I have run my own one-person business since 2001 and have more work than I can handle on my own.
I am looking for help from someone who is desirous of a long term commitment, including being willing and able to relocate (if not already living in this area—this area is truly a great place to live!)
The ideal candidate will have VW-specific experience designing and drafting a variety of home styles and their construction methods, including light-frame wood, ICF, tilt-up concrete, etc. The ability to work from schematic design through the production of construction drawings with details is essential. Additional knowledge/experience of small commercial work would be helpful. 3D drawings in the early stages of design are a vital part of my practice, as is a competent use of Renderworks. Your own hands-on construction experience would be an added bonus.
I am completely open to design collaboration, with the long term goal of being able to fully hand over my business sometime in the next 8 to 15 years (I am 57 years old). I also have a goal of marketing the numerous plans I have created as stock plans, and have considered providing a generous percentage cut from each sale to the person who can get this business aspect going. With this in mind the ideal candidate will share to a great degree the philosophies and approaches I apply to my business and the relationships I establish with my clients, summed up in "The Golden Rule." If you don't know what that is or don't wish to live by it then you are not the ideal candidate. 😉
While the ability to serve clients in a timely way is vital, you otherwise would have the flexibility to follow your own schedule, as well as pursue additional work outside of this relationship I envision. Because my small office (really a workstation) is in my home, and for tax filing purposes, you would work in your own home or office with your own current version VW license, under contract, which we can work out to our mutual satisfaction.
And, while I know that much work can be accomplished remotely, oftentimes the work needs a physical presence, in terms of establishment of the relationship with myself, establishment and maintenance of client relationships, being able to design to a site which you can only understand by walking it, and being able to take field measurements for addition/remodel projects.
Location in this area is not an immediate requirement, of course, and I can hand over some work right now as a way for us to get to know each other, but... I will only consider providing this work to someone who expresses a true willingness—and demonstrates an ability—to relocate, for the aforementioned reasons. THUS, I will appreciate your not responding to this post if you represent a staffing agency or CAD drafting shop, live outside the U.S. without the ability to permanently relocate to the U.S., or for other similar reasons.
Summary of Major Requirements
• Vectorworks 2020 software, including Renderworks
• Residential design experience, from schematic through production of CDs for permits, with a competent working knowledge of the IRC
• Fluency using Vectorworks, including 3D tools along with rendering
• Construction knowledge, preferably with some hands-on experience
• Some knowledge of green building techniques
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to listen well and take direction, yes, but also able to provide useful design and technical input as well (I'm willing to learn from you!)
• Able to adapt your CAD methodologies to my current system—at least at the outset for ease of file-sharing. But if you are the ideal candidate you will take on more of the design and drafting work as I release more to you, and so I would expect you to ultimately work with the system most comfortable and efficient for you
• Willingness and ability to relocate to a very scenic, pastoral area of the country (see attached image of a view from one of my local client's home) with a slower pace of life, and possibly take over my business in the long term
• Knows and lives the Golden Rule.
Is this you? If so, I am anxious to meet and find out. PM me.