Can I draw different scaled imported drawings in one document?

Sanchia

Question

Hello!

I am trying to work out how to draw 1970s hand drawn construction details which have been sent to me as unscaled PDFs. The details are drawn at different scales - e.g 1:1, 1:20, 1:5, 1:50 etc.  I will include dimensions on each of the details, so i have tried grouping each sized detail on the same Design Layer and i have unchecked unified view.

I am using the Scale Objects tool to lock in the right scale and then adjusting the Layer Scale for appropriate sizing. However the drawing, text and PDFs in the other Design Layer's are then rescaling (the Layer Scale is staying the same, just the drawings, PDFs and text). I have been looking through the tutorials but i can't quite figure out what I'm doing incorrectly. The details are too difficult to draw without copying off the PDFs.

With thanks, Sanchia

8 answers to this question

Two things to check:

1. Make sure you don't have the Scale Entire Drawing box checked.

image.png.19022ce1fef4e2f71df7000e924ac0aa.png

2. The detail for each scale will need to be a separate object. If you have imported just a single PDF, then each time you scale it for a different portion the rest of it will change also. If there are multiple details with the same scale on the same page, you are probably better off "clipping" the details out of the PDF either as individual PDFs or as JPG/PNG/TIFF files so you have something that can be scaled individually. This can be done in something like Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop.

7 hours ago, Sanchia said:

The details are drawn at different scales - e.g 1:1, 1:20, 1:5, 1:50 etc. 

Suggested Workflow

If the PDF is NOT a vector based file ...

Make several Design Layers

Put copies of the PDF on these Design Layers

Double click each PDF on the desired layer and add a simple 2D shape to crop around the specific area of the PDF for that layer - Exit Crop PDF

Use Pat's suggestion above Scale Objects. Try the Symmetrical by Distance (click on the dimension icons to the right) and select a specific item in the cropped PDF for the              Current Distance, then enter this items known dimension in the New Distance. (This Click / Click option in VW/RW is quite useful)

Now set the scale of this Design Layer to match or set the Design Layer Scale so the detail looks good on the page, in your layout. When you draw over or dimension it will be accurate.

Repeat for additional Design Layers.

Attached example shows the original PDF (In the center) and additional different scale copies of the same PDF, left & right.

Several different scale Design layers are easy to arrange & show simultaneously - Be forewarned on the aggravations that Unified View causes if the wrong boxes are checked. (See Attached)

Peter

Layer Test.pdf Unified View Aggrivations.pdf

And beware how large and slow all of these cropped PDFs can make your file. I did something similar once with three relatively large PDFs and two crops of each one and I was at almost 10 minutes to regenerate the drawing. It may be OK if you are just trying to get something to work with to trace over. To use this as permanent part of the file may not work well.

FYI

That said ... Use an application that reduces the file size of the PDF - On the Mac PREVIEW does a good job - you are also able to set up your own option if the default drop down selection in PREVIEW is to pixelated. (Adobe Acrobat Pro also does a good job reducing the PDF file size ) - see the attached - The file size difference is about half for this PDF SMALLER setting - Imported into VW/RW it plays nice in the sand box.  You are able to import the desired PDF into a blank drawing and save. Then compare the size of this VWX drawing, with one that has a REDUCED FILE SIZE PDF imported into it.  In the example, note that the twin image appear the same, yet one is half the file size.

Peter

Reduce FIle Size PDF.pdf

And in my case it was a heavy vector PDF and I wanted to use the Snap to Geometry option and that created a LOT of snap points and was probably part of the slowdown.

Raster with Snap to Geometry off should be much better.

But I would still seriously consider doing the crops external to VW and then importing more PDFs/images rather that doing lots of PDF crops in VW.

Another option - Utilize Vector Based PDF files

Here is an option, if the desired PDF is a Vector Based file.

To check, import the desired PDF into a blank VWX drawing.

As you import or after In the OIP check the Snap to Geometry.

If you are able to snap to several objects in the PDF, other than the corners, it should be a vector PDF

Use an application like DWG import to convert the PDF to a CAD file.

This equates to an intermediate DWG file.

The end result should be vectors that can be separated, moved and easily scaled.

Peter

DWG Import Application_1.pdf