Data tag with no text on plant Help!

Eliza G

Question

Hi there

I am planning a planting scheme on VW for the first time and have set up some plants in 'exported plants'

I have disabled the plant label as I find it cumbersome and want to label the plan in the design layer using data tags.

When I add a data tag, there is no text - all class visibilities are on..... help!

No tag.jpg

8 answers to this question

What Style are you using for the Data Tags?  If you are just using the default Data Tag tool with a Data Tag Style in the Mode bar of Unstyled you are adding a Tag that has no data. Try and select one of the Data Tag styles from the Vectorworks Libraries:Annotations:Data Tag (styles):Landscape Site:Plants.vwx in the Mode bar and see what you get with that.

image.thumb.png.8cf971f969e7101f357ef45c16230d89.png

• Like 1

Perfect - thank you! I was just working through the association / style 

I have had another problem with the plant (not data) tags though.

I am following a tutorial where there is a separate 'Plant List sheet' where you insert all your plants you plant to use, then tag them with  a custom plant tag:

Name - Spread - Height.

When I go to do this the OIP has tags greyed out so I am struggling to follow the tutorial..

No tag.jpg

2 hours ago, Eliza G said:

Perfect - thank you! I was just working through the association / style 

I have had another problem with the plant (not data) tags though.

I am following a tutorial where there is a separate 'Plant List sheet' where you insert all your plants you plant to use, then tag them with  a custom plant tag:

Name - Spread - Height.

When I go to do this the OIP has tags greyed out so I am struggling to follow the tutorial..

No tag.jpg

If the Tag Display for a Plant is set to By Style the settings will be greyed-out in the OIP. If this is the case you need to edit the Plant Style in each case to change the Tag Display setting.

This is when the setting is determined by the style:

944904097_Screenshot2023-02-13at19_35_42.thumb.png.c28c0fd69f3f0bf85966f503d6a1a82c.png

This is when it's By Instance:

1272779249_Screenshot2023-02-13at19_37_18.thumb.png.95a52148d8ba07e0132cb64a9d807e9c.png

If you set it to by instance you will see the settings in the OIP are no longer greyed-out + can be edited on an object-by-object basis.

But how old is the tutorial? The advice these days is to use Data Tags rather than the built-in Plant Tag.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Eliza G, perhaps you're watching one of my recordings, A deep dive into planting plans? This was done before the 'by style/by instance' settings were introduced to the plant styles.

As it is today, it's much easier to just create another data tag that includes the spread and height as well, and use that on the plant shortlist.

This is very easy to do - let me know if you need a step by step on how to do it.

Best,

Katarina

• Like 1