'Use at Creation' - how to always have it turned off.

image.thumb.png.9b5a4f6bc9eb674fdaef364efdb1c2ea.png

Does anyone know how to make the answer to this question always 'yes' so I don't have to click 'yes' each time.

It's clear on how to make the answer always 'no'.  

Side note, it may just be me but I find the language in this explanation extremely confusing.  Particularly the sentence "...to create similar but not identical objects." Huh?  It seems like there is a simpler way to write out this explanation, something like:

"Do you want to use the class attributes, or the objects attributes?"  Then there could be check boxes to always have Vectorworks do that.  2 cents...

Thanks,

Garrett

Edited by GarrettBurleson

The Use at Creation function is controlled by each Class. Go to the Edit Class dialog and you will see a checkbox indicating whether you want this function active or not. Alot of people do.

You can disable it for every class and you should not be bothered by the alert that you have shown above.

To turn it off for all classes in one action, go to the Organisation dialog and remove the Check Mark from the Use Column.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2

While I agree that it's a slightly confusing message, here's the logic behind what's happening:

-You engage the "Create Similar Object" command and click on an object.

-This command sets the Active class to match the object, it activates the correct tool to create another one of the object, and it sets the Attributes palette to match the attributes of the object.

-Typically the expectation is to then be able to create an identical object (as far as class, object type, and attributes).

-In our scenario, the class which is now Active happens to have "Use at Creation" checked in the Class definition; and the object you clicked on happens to have attributes that are set locally / not by class. This is where the conflict comes in since these are two competing ideas.

-If you were to draw an object, it WOULDN'T match the object you clicked on because "Use at Creation" means the Active Class will "push" its attributes onto the newly created object, overriding the current Attributes Palette settings. So the new object will appear different despite having used "Create Similar Object."

-This pop-up warns you of this fact. There's not an option to always do "Yes" because it's literally changing the class definition, which is potentially a substantial change that a user shouldn't be able to accidentally do without thinking. You should only want to choose "Yes" on a per instance basis, plus, hypothetically you only have to do it once per class, since the conflict wouldn't exist the next time you do the same operation.

-In the end, it's actually more likely that a user should choose "No," accepting the fact that object might look a little different, while preserving your class definitions.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

I want to ignore class default definition when I use the starred eyedropper tool but I dont get asked the question. How can I switch this back so that I pick up the preferences of the object I am selecting including line weight even though the line weight differs from the class default?